A '70 GTO I'm looking at. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A '70 GTO I'm looking at.

G'day. I've found a 1970 GTO I'd like to buy, I've put a deposit on it, and make the go/no go decision this weekend.

It was a 455HO,( now a 400) pwr steer, power discs. My questions are

1) it has a bench seat, obviously with tilting forward backrests. Was the bench seat available in GTO's in 1970? Colour is cream/off white.

2) Column shifted TurboHydromatic. Again was that available with the 455 in 1970?

3) Instrumentation-no extra gauges. Only speedo & fuel. Idiot lights for the rest. Again- was that standard?

I've been googling arround- mostly when at work on the phone to the customers, and can't find definate answers. Which is why I'm asking all these
questions.

The last US owner supplied the PHS sheet which lists the car as above, with some extras- AC, Rally 2's, decor group, and others.

VIN is 2 4237 0Zxxxxxx. My googling tells me that VIN is a Pontiac,GTO/Judge,2dr hardtop, 1970, built at Fremont CA.

So far so good ( I hope!)

Data plate is 70-24327 BF 0341113 The '13" look they were hand stamped,from on top of the plate, rather than machine pressed from underneath like the other numbers. Again, my googling tells me that it's a 1970,Pontiac,GTO/Judge, 2dr Hardtop, built at Fremont,CA.

PHS sheet mentions '2 TONE- STD' The data plate says "47 45 PNT"
I assume this was Palisade Green and Verdoro Green car? Seems odd, most 2 tones of that era were just a white roof.

Some of the options seem at odds with each other.On the performance front, the 455 is an engine upgrade- alright it ain't Ram Air IV, but it's an extra. Ditto the Rally 2's & G7014 rubber, & discs.

But then he/she goes for the comfort side- AC, PS, power discs, decor group,
But sticks to the basic gauges & a column auto & bench seat.

I guess the bottom line is "is this a GTO or a Tempest/Le Mans?"

A big thank you in advance for all replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
G'day. I've found a 1970 GTO I'd like to buy, I've put a deposit on it, and make the go/no go decision this weekend.

It was a 455HO,( now a 400) pwr steer, power discs. My questions are

1) it has a bench seat, obviously with tilting forward backrests. Was the bench seat available in GTO's in 1970? Colour is cream/off white.

2) Column shifted TurboHydromatic. Again was that available with the 455 in 1970?

3) Instrumentation-no extra gauges. Only speedo & fuel. Idiot lights for the rest. Again- was that standard?

I've been googling arround- mostly when at work on the phone to the customers, and can't find definate answers. Which is why I'm asking all these
questions.

The last US owner supplied the PHS sheet which lists the car as above, with some extras- AC, Rally 2's, decor group, and others.

VIN is 2 4237 0Zxxxxxx. My googling tells me that VIN is a Pontiac,GTO/Judge,2dr hardtop, 1970, built at Fremont CA.

So far so good ( I hope!)

Data plate is 70-24327 BF 0341113 The '13" look they were hand stamped,from on top of the plate, rather than machine pressed from underneath like the other numbers. Again, my googling tells me that it's a 1970,Pontiac,GTO/Judge, 2dr Hardtop, built at Fremont,CA.

PHS sheet mentions '2 TONE- STD' The data plate says "47 45 PNT"
I assume this was Palisade Green and Verdoro Green car? Seems odd, most 2 tones of that era were just a white roof.

Some of the options seem at odds with each other.On the performance front, the 455 is an engine upgrade- alright it ain't Ram Air IV, but it's an extra. Ditto the Rally 2's & G7014 rubber, & discs.

But then he/she goes for the comfort side- AC, PS, power discs, decor group,
But sticks to the basic gauges & a column auto & bench seat.

I guess the bottom line is "is this a GTO or a Tempest/Le Mans?"

A big thank you in advance for all replies.
Somethings don't add up:

The VIN will not identify the car as a Judge, only the PHS will. On the PHS The Judge with the 332 code with a list price of 337.02 will be listed if its not, this car is not a Judge regardless of what you find on google.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think a Judge came with bench seats, I have never seen one. Bench seats is more of a family type vehicle. Gauges: NO tach?? You mention there is only a speedo and fuel and idiot lights. 242 indicates its a GTO not a Lemans. The Judge was the primo performance GTO. Unless someone custom ordered a GTO stripped of its identity I'd say judging by your description its not a Judge. The PHS would also indicate this car having R/A III or R/A IV which is NOT an add on, its factory installed if it's a Judge. All of this would be indicated on the PHS.

45/47 paint code indicates it could be Verdoro Green/Palisade Green. Dark Green vinyl tops were listed, not light Green vinyl tops. Dark Green would be the Verdoro.

If you are finding hand stamped numbers I see red flags... altered maybe?

Originally a 455 now a 400. Thats very plausible. 455's was an option and came with a 12 bolt rear is this listed on the PHS? A 455 ordered Judge was offered late in the '70 model year whats the build date?

Interior color on a '70: there was no white/cream. The closest color to white was Sandalwood code: 267 for bench seat. Black was the only other bench seat color......

Be leery on this car,,,,, some things to me don't add up.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 08-31-2011 at 07:49 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i dont think he is asking if its a judge, just if its a real gto. looks like it is.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Judging from the above, I got the impression he thinks it may be one.

www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tempestGT View Post
i dont think he is asking if its a judge, just if its a real gto. looks like it is.
Yes, sorry if I gave the impresssion I thought it was a Judge. The data plate decoder states '42' is the code for a GTO/Judge. I know its not a Judge, but want to confirm that its GTO, not a Tempest/Lemans.

Re the interior- it's Sandlewood ( from the Sandlewood pics I've googled)
I called it white/cream 'cos that was the nearest colours I could think off.

No mention of RA III/IV on the build sheet. Build date from the data plate is 3rd week November '69.

The vinyl top in green would explain the 2 paint codes on the data plate I assume?

Thank you all again for your responses.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
Yes, sorry if I gave the impresssion I thought it was a Judge. The data plate decoder states '42' is the code for a GTO/Judge. I know its not a Judge, but want to confirm that its GTO, not a Tempest/Lemans.

Re the interior- it's Sandlewood ( from the Sandlewood pics I've googled)
I called it white/cream 'cos that was the nearest colours I could think off.

No mention of RA III/IV on the build sheet. Build date from the data plate is 3rd week November '69.

The vinyl top in green would explain the 2 paint codes on the data plate I assume?

Thank you all again for your responses.

Process of elimination:

The PHS should confirm the vinyl top. The only vinyl top in Green for '70 was dark green. The color code for Verdoro is 47 so it would make sense the top color of 47= Verdoro.

242 confirms it as a GTO not a Lemans which 237 would have indicated it as such.

Your PHS would confirm it has having a 455 CI. It would also state it had a 12 bolt rear with the gear ratio. Look at the rear end and count the bolts, if it has 12 that would indicate it may be original, if it has 10 bolts then it would indicate it was changed out or the 455 was not in this car as told you and had the standard 400 CI. A 455 HO car with a bench seat and column shift? Could be I suppose I never seen one. Auto trans was the TH400 for the GTO.

www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is this listed on e-bay or craigslist? You already paid a deposit so you wouldn't have to worry about someone buying it from underneath you. Just wondering if you have pics or a link that you could post?

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
Is this listed on e-bay or craigslist? You already paid a deposit so you wouldn't have to worry about someone buying it from underneath you. Just wondering if you have pics or a link that you could post?

Found the car here /www.carsales.com.au Dunno how to post a more direct link, but if you search under Pontiac then under GTO. Only 3 GTO's listed.
Its the green one listed at $22500.

I have a pic of the Data plate, googling arround I found pics of another GTO data plate that had a restamp. "My" GTO's plate is the pic with the red arrow. The 'handstamp' is circled. The other circled data plate is another restamped one I found on line.

Once again, thank you for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400GTO_24.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	12141  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

And here is the PHS sheet.

EDIT: And here's the link:
1970 PONTIAC GTO Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au
68'

Hope this helps.

Cheers Webby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO%20PHS.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	12146  

Last edited by 68greengoat; 08-31-2011 at 07:14 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$57.93 for 1970 #64 head H.O. 455 I'll take a 100 of them.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in