71 gto trying to fire up after long time in field - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
71 gto trying to fire up after long time in field

So I am trying to get her to come back to life. New battery installed. New ignition keyset. She will not even turn over. It only "clicks" a relay that is on the firewall. (Does anyone know what this does?) Someone also installed an aftermarket remote starter solenoid on it too. I was thinking get a new starter, remove that aftermarket solenoid, and put the wires back where they belong underneath as a beginning on trying to get this figured out.

Last edited by camarocasanova; 11-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to ChromeCoach10
New plugs, new points, new wires, fresh gas, some spray ether?

You gotta get it running... there aren't many 71's to be had.

ChromeCoach10
Central NJ
'67 Pontiac GTO Coupe
Mariner Turquoise
'70 GTO 400 Block
TH400 Auto, 3.23 Posi-Trac Rear
Edelbrock Intake & 750 Carb.
17" AR Torq-Thrust II's up front.
18" AR Torq-Thrust II's in back.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocasanova View Post
So I am trying to get her to come back to life. New battery installed. New ignition keyset. She will not even turn over. It only "clicks" a relay that is on the firewall. (Does anyone know that this does?) Someone also installed an aftermarket remote starter solenoid on it too. I was thinking get a new starter, remove that aftermarket solenoid, and put the wires back where they belong underneath as a beginning on trying to get this figured out.
Yes, remove everything extra that was put on. If the starter still doesn't work, check the wires with a test light to be sure you have battery voltage at the main battery wire and that you have 12v+ at the smaller purple wire when the key is in the 'start' position.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Jim

Well, Like everyone I have an opinion and it's probably not worth much but you get to hear it anyway....Firstly, I would put some tranny fluid down the cylinders first and let it sit for a day. I would also tuen it over by hand first to make sure the engine is loose. If it is and you think the starter is bad pull it and bench test it.

I have had them where they were froze up and until you broke them loose the starter is not going to do it.

Like I said, for what it's worth.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM

I agree with Jim. Depending on how long it sat, verify it will turn over by hand. I bought a charger when I was 18 that sat 10 years and did the same thing. I pulled the plugs and sprayed wd-40 down the cylinders and let it sit a day and then turned over by hand..
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

ok, changed oil out looks good. Motor does turn over by hand. Also figured out my matching numbers motor has a matching numbers transmission. I plan on squirting down the cylinders with wd like you guys have suggested when I change the plugs out and let her sit for a day. Anyhow, I replaced the starter, but left it out remote to see what is going on. Large main battery wire shows 12v, BUT purple wire is not getting any voltage with the key on or turned. I followed it all the way back to the firewall since someone has hacked the harness a bit, but still no voltage. So I am assuming the problem is somewhere from the firewall into the steering column. I have a schematic, but it is a little hard for me to read. Maybe ignition switch or neutral safety switch??? I now look to you my new friends for some more help

Last edited by camarocasanova; 11-13-2008 at 12:15 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Former Super Moderator

You're on the right track. Check the neutral safety switch for voltage going in and out when in the start position with the key. If you have voltage coming in but non going out, then you can cross those two wires to 'by-pass' the neutral safety switch until you can get it replaced. If you have no voltage going to the neutral safety switch, then go to the key switch and look for voltage coming out of there in the start position.

Last edited by Rukee; 11-13-2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: mspellin errer
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Where is the nss located? I have a console shifter in mine. I am going to remove the steering wheel, and go through the steering column. The other weird thing is when I shift my console shifter, the column moves as if it was once a column shift. But the PHS documents on the car show it as a console shift car. Is that just how they are made?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Former Super Moderator

That's for the steering wheel lock mechanism. It's normal.
I think the neutral safety switch should be on or near the shifter in the console, or on the base of the steering column.

Last edited by Rukee; 11-13-2008 at 10:24 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Jim

If you don't get the wiring figured out and your ready to just try to get it running, you can wire a jumper across the solenoid. I would add some long leads and you can do it from the engine compartment. That's not of course the long term fix but it get's you where you can get it started. If you do this however make sure it's in park or neutral.

Ask me how I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in