User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Accel HEI supercoil (140005)

Hey Guys

I got a slight problem maybe you can help with.

When i get on the gas i start getting a popping/loading up sound and hesitation around 4k rpm.

I'm sure the plugs are fouled because they foul out like its thier job in this engine.

So i called the Motor shop today asking about trying new plugs, they said to try a hotter plug instead of the colder ones i use due to it being a 12 to 1 comp ratio.
I just cruise around town, not racing so the rpms never really get up above3k to 4k anyway

He said a hotter plug would burn more of that carbon up like the way a glow plug can handle desiel, which kinda makes sence but scares me about pre-ignition.

They also told me to swap to a MSD 6AL system but i think he assumed i was running stock points not a HEI upgrade(Accel 140005).

Ok so here is the question is this Accel HEI trash or is it fine?
Do i need to and a controll box like a MSD 6AL?
im not sure the Accel super coil can use a external box or not.

And should i try the hotter plugs?

(if you want to see engine spes i have detail listed in the forsale thread under 69 built 455 btw)

Thanks again

Silky58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM

What year. Engine? Do you have 12V to the positive side of the coil? Try this question on PY forums.
I hve 68 up graded to Pertronix. Had to plce jumper wire behind ignition switch from R1 to R2. HEI need 12 V.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

its a 1969 gto with a 73 455, like i said in the post i have full engine details list under the for sale section.

the hei is alrdy on i was wondering if i needed to add a control box, add if i should try a hotter plug.

thx for the reply tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in