accelerator pedal adjustment 68 gto - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
accelerator pedal adjustment 68 gto

Replaced throttle cable on my 68 gto because the old one was not getting the carb to open fully when pedal is depressed to the floor. I am having same problem with the new one however. How do you adjust? looks like no adjustment at carb. Is it at the pedal? The motor is a 72 with a quadrajet. Intake is a stock I think 68 with part number 485912 not sure on carb. Just feels like pedal movement is not enough to open up the carb. Could I and will it work if I bend the pedal rods? could they be bent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
had same problem with mine ..I put the pedal to the floor and opened the carb all the way and locked the cable in place ..(I don't have a stock carb) don't know if that works for yours but I would not bend any rods.. its got to be in the adjustment cable
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
adjustment

What I have read is that there is no adjustment at the carb. I replaced cable but that did not help. I think maybe the pedal rods might have bent? Has any one had this happen. It looks like the stock q-jet and intake.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
What first came to mind is the carb. If I am not mistaken, the Chevy version of the Q-jet has a different connect position on the carb vs the Pontiac. If yours is a Chevy Q-jet, then this could be your problem.

Don't think your gas pedal rod would be bent. New carpets or under carpet insulation? Is it possible your pedal is not getting fully depressed due to this situation?

Can you relocate the pin on the carb linkage by moving it forward? Can you elongate the hole at the bracket bottom where it bolts to the manifold and slide it back some? Can you relocate the clamp that holds the cable onto the bracket? Worst comes to worst, can you cut the bracket in half, move it back the desired amount, mark the position, and have it re-welded with another flat plate behind/infront to give added support?

REMEMBER: there are no problems, only solutions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think you have two threads going on this issue, but as I mentioned on the other one, you may have a bracket from a two barrel carb. The clamping position moves the cable approx. 3/4 inch farther forward on a two barrel than on a four barrel. Ames sells the correct for the four barrel.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in