User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Advice on value of a '70 Ram Air IV CAR

Hello all,

I am a bit new to Pontiac, but not new to the classic car hobby. Anyway, I've been looknig for a car and think I may have found one. It's a '70 GTO Ram Air IV coupe. It needs resto work but had new qtrs installed already and the underside looks decent - no frame issues that I can see. The owner claims it's a ram air 4 car but I have no idea if there is any way to tell this. Also, the motor is not the original anyway. Has the His/Hers shifter. No idea if it has any other options. I do not know of the exact motor and running cond, but it has been stored under an asphalted carport for at least the last 10 years. Price is $5500.

Does anyone know if there are any markings anywhere that would denote it as a ram air 4 car? Also, and ideas on the price - ie, does it seem high, ridiculous, etc, considering the car does not have the right motor?

I intend to try and get down to look at it sometime this weekend if the owner is available.

Last edited by mdh157; 06-17-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM

ram air gto

the only way to tell if its a true ram air car is to do a phs report{pontiac historical society}.there is no breakout in the vin to identify it as ram air car.even without original motor the car is worth alot more than 5,500 so i would do a very fast research on it and if it is authentic grab it!!!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh157 View Post
Hello all,

I am a bit new to Pontiac, but not new to the classic car hobby. Anyway, I've been looknig for a car and think I may have found one. It's a '70 GTO Ram Air IV coupe. It needs resto work but had new qtrs installed already and the underside looks decent - no frame issues that I can see. The owner claims it's a ram air 4 car but I have no idea if there is any way to tell this. Also, the motor is not the original anyway. Has the His/Hers shifter. No idea if it has any other options. I do not know of the exact motor and running cond, but it has been stored under an asphalted carport for at least the last 10 years. Price is $5500.

Does anyone know if there are any markings anywhere that would denote it as a ram air 4 car? Also, and ideas on the price - ie, does it seem high, ridiculous, etc, considering the car does not have the right motor?

I intend to try and get down to look at it sometime this weekend if the owner is available.

For engine codes, check the "GTO Alley" website. I believe tht Ram Air IV engines in both 1969 and 1970 are rated at 370-horsepower. However, remember to check all of the noted codes in and around the engine to ensure that ALL of the engine is a Ram Air IV. The Ram Air IV engines are highly sought after, so a price of $5,500 is either too low or low because the engine is NOT a true Ram Air IV engine. Good luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

As far as my friend described it, the motor is not a Ram Air 4 motor. I have to look into it a bit more as the info I've been finding says a his/hers shifter was not available in 1970. Again, i have not seen the car yet so I don't have as much i nfo as I'd like to have on it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 PM

thats right.i believe the his/hers shifter was not available in 70 or even 69 i believe.keep us informed .good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Garage
Ram air IV is a big claim. Go see the car and see if it's something you'd want to get involved in redoing. If it's decent, price sound really good, ram air 4, pick it up. Junk is junk, if it's real, you're only buying a vin or moneypit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I believe you emailed me under my SVGTO email. I responded to you there.
SVGTO will be in Carlisle for the GM Nationals if you want to stop by, you'll get answers for your concerns and questions. As stated the dual gate shifter was not offered on the 1970. PHS is a must get if you are interested in this car, I provided you the link in that email.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in