After 45 years in storage, I知 restoring my 100%v original 1964 GTO and seeking ideas - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After 45 years in storage, I知 restoring my 100%v original 1964 GTO and seeking ideas

My parents bought this car new in May 1964, drove it 70,000 miles, and stored it in 1968. The car has been driven less than 200 miles in the past 45 years. It is currently "untouched" mechanically with virtually every bolt still being 吐actory tight. My goal is to complete a frame off restoration between now and next year when the car turns 50. It is currently COMPLETE with only the machine spun dash plate and a wind lace cap missing. I have ALL paperwork and broaches, and the car even still has the original spark plug wires on it.

My intention is to restore it original aside from the wheels, exhaust, and 妬nterior engine changes. I am doing this project with my 13 and 16 year old sons and we plan to drive it on nice days, take it to car shows, and occasionally to the strip, because it IS a GTO. Being a subtle body style, and our targeted "original" appearance, I want it to have a beautiful sound. I was looking at headers with a 3 X-Change X-Pipe with Pypes Violator or Race Pro mufflers. I would like to stay with the stock Carter AFB (and would be open to recommendations for any really good carb shops to optimize the performance within the existing carb). I would like to switch to electronic ignition and hydraulic lifters for performance and maintenance needs. I would like a rumble at idle, but not so rough that it sound like its miss-firing.

As for pistons, rings, crank modifications, cam profiles, etc. I am SEEKING PEOPLES INPUT. The car has 70,000 miles and starts on the first crank. After all these years in storage all the seal have dried and cracked, but otherwise has just normal wear and tear. I want to install a good performing engine package, but it does need to be extreme. The rear differential on 64 is not strong enough to hold much more power than it already has, especially with a good set of tires hooking up. It has a 3 speed, with a 3.90 gear ratio.

There really aren稚 a lot of items I 渡eed as even all my chrome is dent and corrosion free. I have no rips in the interior but there is mild wear on the driver痴 seat. Since everything else will be new, I was looking at installing a Legendary interior on my existing seat frames along with new carpet headliner, etc. Any brand recommendations would be great.

My intention is to switch to poly urethane body mounts and change every seal, gasket, hose, tube, cable, bearings, etc but will store everything I remove. Any insight on suppliers or brands would be appreciated. This car has waited 45 years for restoration because I wanted to do it once, and do it right. I知 not looking for an untouchable show car, but rather a beautiful 1964 GTO to share with my kids, drive my mom in the 4th of July parades, and turn every head as I fire it up and drive away from the local car show.

Thanks for the help. I have been waiting my entire life to do this. I have a decent, but not unlimited budget, and I have some REALLY passionate car lovers who are helping me on this build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Please post pictures! The saying "they're only original once" carries a lot of weight, and value, too. If it's presentable, I would NOT restore the car or monkey with it too much. It will then be 'just another '64 GTO' instead of a true survivor with very interesting, and documented, family history. I would pull the engine and reseal it. I would replace the freeze plugs with brass plugs, and install a new timing chain set. I would NOT rebuild the engine. 70,000 miles is nothing. These engines, maintained, will go 200,000 miles between overhauls. A 3" exhaust causes power loss for any engine less than about 550 HP. Not needed. A good 2.5" system is all that is needed, but, again, I'd leave it alone. I wouldn't redo the interior, or anything else. If the body mounts are bad (doubtful) I would replace them. A simple front suspension overhaul (bushings, tie rods, etc,) can be done, with poly bushings if you so choose. Again, I wouldn't. I'd use Moog parts. It's your car, and your choice, but let me tell you, a well preserved original car will get a lot more interest at shows, etc., than a frame up restored one will. You can't replace the 'cool factor' once it's gone. Then again, if the paint is shot, etc., a refurbishment may be in order. Pics, pics, pics!!!!! Congrats, and welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
about keeping it all original if at all possible.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
X3...if its as stated, freshen it up and drive it. Most assume that all old cars need to be taken down to the last bolt. It's value is that it is a time capsule, a full body off resto will run in the 10's of thousands and tie up the car for a year minimum, and it will probably be worth less than if you keep it as is. The body mounts can be done without removing the whole shell (if needed). You do not see many "factory fresh" cars these days, please post some pics so we can all drool all over our keyboards.

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Ugh!

That would absolutely ruin it. Trading in original American made parts for cheesy aftermarket Chinese crapola (you still pay top dollar for) is in my book ludicrous. It would be like giving a 14 year old a $20 gold double eagle, then they take it and go buy a $20 dinner at a Chinese restaurant! There are collectors out there who would do anything to have what you have. They would change out only what was necessary for it to be drivable. You only go full bore on the repairs if the vehicle was rotted out or other dire circumstances were present. Perhaps you would consider trading your original to some member who has exactly what you're looking for, and what they have waited an entire lifetime for???
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
If it isn't completely rusted out and the interior wasted I would try to clean and preserve what you have. Instead of putting new seatcovers on try to clean the ones you have and/or maybe even try and find an original cover for the ripped seat so the patina matches. You could literally lose money on this car by restoring it, I mean actually make it worth less that it is in its present condition. Even consider doing some small necessary repairs instead of just replacing things to replace them.

That said we all want to see some pics. Is it roached out and rat infested or just dusty and original??
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I came back to my senses........

Alright, Alright, Alright. I know. Please forgive me. I have spent my entire life adamantly planning a COMPLETELY stock registration, but lost my mind a little bit until I went out to take these pictures. When I did, I reminded myself of what an awesome car this really is. I had also never thought of disassembling the engine, changing seals, gaskets, and maybe rings, but put it all back together with the original parts.

That now IS the plan. There is more to this story. I never restored this car because I always wanted to wait until I had the money to do it 途ight. Unfortunately, I STILL don稚 have the money to do this, but I have a new plan. My mom痴 dream for this car had always been to restore this and be driven in the 4th of July parade.

I got laid off a few years ago and we have been really struggling since. We have spent almost 4 years trying to simply 塗old onto what we already have. We decided this week that to continue we need to sell some of our land in hopes of lowering our monthly payments. I have reluctantly agreed to do so under the condition that I can take some of the money and fix up the GTO.

Next year marks the car痴 50th anniversary. When my parents got his car they had just gotten married, and were pregnant with their first child. It was their first major purchase, and their first loan, as they began to build their lives. Their first car payment was due on July 2, 1964. My plan is to restore this and have my son drive her in the parade of her choice in 2014. (I figured we壇 make this a three generational thing).

After closer look at the car, even the carpet is good enough to be left alone. There are a few worn spots on the driver痴 side, but they would be covered by a floor mat. Now I am thinking of cleaning and dying the original carpet. There are no rips in the seats and virtually no wear so I am assuming they can be cleaned and whited. The body needs some minor dents fixed, but I will repaint with the correct color and paint.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Sorry for my momentary insanity. I went from the depression of selling my most of my property to the exuberance of having all the money I need to fix the car I致e waited my life for. I remember shitting in the garage, with the car on blocks, acting like I was driving. I still remember the day I started it. I had never started a car before, it had NO exhaust, and scared the ever living shit out of me.

I can稚 wait to make this the BEST ORIGINAL 1964 GTO I can!!!!!!
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by My64GTO View Post
I remember shitting in the garage, with the car on blocks, acting like I was driving. I still remember the day I started it. I had never started a car before, it had NO exhaust, and scared the ever living shit out of me.

On second thought.....you might want to replace that interior.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I know it's something you hope will span more generations in your family....keeping it original will instill in the kids it doe'snt have to be new to be good. It will also be much less a hit on your funds and half the fun is finding the parts and with e-bay and craiglist the kids will be a wiz at searching them out. These cars are relatively simple mechanically and with a good shop manual you and them will be able to do most if not all the work yourselves with a basic set of tools. If you can get it running, do a full fluid flush, tuneup replace all worn suspension steering and brake parts with quality american parts. and do whats funnest....drive the car. Then you can asses what other steps you need to take. I guarantee you this...take that car and the boys to a local show. Enter in an original class and see who the bell of the ball is, your car or the fresh 40K no matching resto's surrounding you. hands down i would be under your hood as will all the real car guys as well as the resto's owners. also if there are any chalk or crayon markings try to preserve them they were the assembly line markings.

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Too funny.....

I was NOT "shitting" in the car as I kid, I was "sitting".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in