After 8 years away... I have returned to the forum! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After 8 years away... I have returned to the forum!

Hey everyone! I'm sure 99.9% of you don't remember me, but I was fairly active on this forum (and LS1GTO) back in 2003-2005, since I had both a burgundy 65 and a red 04 GTO. Here is a pic from back in the day:

Burgundy 1965 GTO Hardtop - Ultimate Pontiac GTO Photo Detail

After years of personal intrigue (moved to DC, sold a GTO to pay for a wedding, sold another for a house down-payment, divorce, move back to Indiana, new *and improved!* wife, new house, etc.), I'm proud to say that I am once again the owner of a GTO!

This one is the complete opposite of my last 65, which was fully optioned with factory AC, power antenna, automatic, reverb, etc, etc... This one is definitely a bare-bones racer! It is a factory original Charcoal Blue with WS code 389 tripower, Muncie M-21 close ratio, 3.90 rear end, rally gauges, and nothing else!

Since I plan to drive it, I am in the process of 1) converting to an aluminum radiator and high volume water pump, 2) installing an updated distributor, 3) putting new springs and shocks on, since it is saggy right now, 4) installing headers and a Magnaflow exhaust (the previous owner only had resonators on... my neighbors would have hated me, even if I could have withstood the horrible drone), 5) putting some polished Torq Thrusts on, 6) upgrading to front Wilwood disc brakes, and 7) installing a TKO-600 5 speed.

I'll post a pic of the car once I get to my other computer, very shortly. For now, my main decision is whether or not to keep the Muncie or sell it. I've learned my lesson about selling a GTO before, and I'll never do that again! (It's been my dream to be back on this forum as an owner for 8 years now!) So in reality, I think keeping the Muncie just means it'll be taking up space in my storage unit for years, serving no purpose. Any idea what a functioning used close ratio Muncie goes for on the open market?

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and I look forward to being an active part of this forum once again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I'm starting with...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	923.3 KB
ID:	20370   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	20378   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	672.5 KB
ID:	20386  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Sweet!!!

OOOO... NICE! A couple of tons of blasting fun!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Howdy, welcome back, and nice ride!

You left before I showed up, but hopefully I've got enough sense to recognize someone who'd been around. Sounds like your personal tribulations have been plentiful. I went through a period of self-inflicted insanity myself some year back, before I finally got lucky far beyond what I deserved and met Mrs. Bear.

Looking forward to following your project.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Welcome back, Jason. You're '65 is a dead ringer for mine, which I've had since 1982. Mine is also a 4 speed WS car, but with a console and an M-20. I also have the blue interior. Pics on my profile page. One word of wisdom: since yours is an original WS car, it is of higher value than a 'garder variety' '65, particularly since it came thru with the 3.90 and M-21. Do not get rid of the numbers matching trans, as it will have a great negative effect on the car's value if you ever sell it someday. Bolt on, easily reversed mods are fine, but please, please, please consider keeping the original parts. A Muncie doesn't take up much room under a workbench......just sayin'.....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah... I actually saw the Muncie sitting on the floor of the shop today, as the TKO-600 is being installed. I was amazed at how small it was! New, modern transmissions are HUGE in comparison! So it won't really take up too much space.

I've never really been the type of guy to worry about "numbers matching," and when I bought it, it was such a good price, I didn't even really worry about running the PHS. I figured the tri-power was added later (like so many of them are), and thought I'd be able to sell it for a nice chunk of change toward an EZ-EFI setup. After I ran the PHS, I knew I had something special, and couldn't dare part with the tripower. Having the short ratio and 3.90 makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE to drive on the highway though, so that is why I'm doing the 5-speed conversion. I'll keep all of the parts for posterity, especially after seeing how small a Muncie is in person.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

GeeTeeOhGuy, I see you are from Fresno. My cousin lives in Clovis... I've never seen so many classic cars just driving around the streets as I do in Fresno! Just driving down Shaw on a Tuesday afternoon, random people heading to Gottschalk's in their 70 Chevelle 454s... It's amazing! Why is that?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Jason, cars don't rust out here, as you know, and there are a lot of surviors. Also, the climate allows for year 'round enjoyment of these old cars. Added to that, plenty of junkyards with old cars and parts that don't 'go away' due to harsh weather conditions. It all adds up to a lot of neat old cars on the road. Glad you're keeping the '65's parts intact. I've owned 9 GTO's, and the main reason I've kept my '65 so long is because it's an actual tripower car, not a conversion. All of my other goats (all '65's, 66's, and 67's) were base 4bbl cars. Real tripower cars are pretty rare, especially going on 50 years later. Mine came originally with 3.55 gears, which I changed to 3.36 in 1990.....so now I can actually enjoy freeway driving. 3.90's are impossible on the open road! Funny you're in Indiana....my dad was from there originally, and my grandparents lived in Valparaiso for decades. I still have relatives in Valpo and in the Chicago area. I remember going to Elgin, Ill, in 1983 for some equipment training for work, and I saw a Montero Red '66 GTO driving by in the snow (it was March) with its quarter panels held on with bungee cords, it had so much rot. Couldn't believe it. Lots of nice cars back there, though....they just get put away when the weather gets dicy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in