User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The age old oil question

If yall arnt sick of this already lol
I have a 69 400 bored and stroked to a 461. High street performance cam in it. Engine has less than 5k miles on it. PO spent a huge amount of money on it. However I do not know the complete specs for it(bearing clearences etc.) Ive been running castrols 10w-40 in it for awhile now. But I recently did a complete gasket overhaul on it, leaky head gasket, and I was just curious about the type of oil yall would use during this situation. I understand the importance of zinc but since this isnt your average 400 I was curious.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 AM

If a flat tappet cam, then yes, keep the zddp coming. If roller cam, run whatever catches your fancy in a 10/30 or 10/40 weight. Some people like 15/40 but I am not one of those guys. The stuff is plenty thick during our cold spring and fall mornings. Keep in mind that I have recently gone through 2 flat tappet cams in 1,500 miles, so take my advice for what it is worth...

Here is a website that will learn you lots about oil...

- Bob is the Oil Guy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM

Garage
I recommend Brad Penn 10w30. Matt

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 PM

I use Royal Purple oil in mine as the rest of the oil on the market is junk. They have taken all the good stuff out of the oil because of emissions so almost every oil company has jumped on the wagon not only for that but it saves them money to. If you have an older car that has a flat tappet cam you need to run the better blends form the companies that build the oils for our cars. If not you'll be doing just what I've done now. This is my 3 cam that went flat in 14 months because I was stubborn & used the reg. oil off the shelf. I now will only use the better blended oils for our cars. It may cost a bit more , but I'll tell you rebuilding an engine 3 times in 14 months isn't cheap either.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I'm with Matt. But, that said, have been running Rotella since Kendall and Valvoline took the ZDDP out about 10 years ago. Both of my GTO's are flat tappet cams: the one in my '65 has 33 years and 50,000 miles of service, and the one in my '67 has 26 years and about 80,000 miles of service and neither have gone flat. But then, they are old, USA made cams, not off-shore junk.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM

I also use Rotella because of the zinc. What are your thoughts on Rotella synthetic?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use Rotella, have for years never had any oiling issues. I have heard of some guys claiming rear seal leaks with synthetic but I like to just give the seal a bit of attention when I install it. Still using rope seals in all of my engines and don't even remember the last time one leaked.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 PM

I hope you guys know that Rotella took out the zzdp to about 18 months ago because of cost. About 18 months ago they pulled the zzdp out because of cast & because of the gov. cracking down on them about how much there oil was hurting the environment because of the additives in there oil. They pulled it out to make the powers to be go away & get out of there business. So using there oil no longer helps our engines , it's no better then the cheapest oils on the market any more. There was an artical about them taking it out in Car Craft about a year & a half ago.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
According to the MSDS data sheets on their site ZDDP was reduced but still in the finished blend. Never had a bearing issue using Shell Rottela
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
AS SGC states, the ZDDP levels have indeed been reduced. Still, they are much higher than 'conventional' oils, and in my own first hand experience with Rotella, it is super tough oil. It does not break down and fail like lesser oils can. It's amazing in bearing load tests. Unbelievable film strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in