LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Air Compressor Couplings **Help**

I have a new set of Hi-Flo air compressor male and female 1/4" pneumatic couplings. This past weekend I finally got my air compressor wired and everything connected. I have a Flexzilla hose. This is my concern....

I do not have the hard line completed yet, so I just have the hose connected directly up to the air compressor (out the side) with a shut off valve and a 3/8 reduced down to 1/4 npt for the male connector. On the hose I have a female 1/4 npt at each end. I have just been using straight air to blow dust around the garage. When the air compressor shut off valve is opened and air is in the line the female coupler leaks air. It hisses. I know its not on the compressor end, but I went to Home Depot and bought Husky 1/4" npt regular standard connectors and I am getting the same thing. I thought it might be the hose but I'm just at a lose to what is occuring. I've tried changing the female ends three times and its the same result at the compressor.

I can't imagine this is normal, but I could be wrong? Any suggestions or similar experiences. I have been reading here online about a few possible fixes but I thought I'd also try here. All my pneumatic couplings are all brand new.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Just to make sure I've got this right in my mind.... you have a female quick-disconnect fitting on both ends of the hose and a male end on the compressor - correct?

Take a close look at your male disconnect fitting(s). Not all are created equal. They vary in the "width" of the wide part of the fitting - the part that the female fitting grabs onto and holds. Some of them are pretty narrow at the point of the "V" around this bead, others have a wider "band" of metal at this point. If the male fitting isn't the correct one for the female, especially if you use a narrow coupler with a female end that wants a 'wide' one, it will leak as you're describing.

(I'm SO tempted to say something here like "size matters" ---- but I won't.... )

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Thank you for the response Bear. I switched a few more out and seemed to find some with a better fitting. On the female end I stuck a flat head screw driver and compressed the center releasing the air, then plugged it back in. Seemed to work for now.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
...........you just did, Bear..........but nobody is offended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in