LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Air Compressor Opinions

Does anyone have this one? I am about to buy it here tonight. I have $150 in Sears gift cards and its on sale for $449. Out of pocket I would spend $300.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Just looking for thoughts on this particular model or any experience with using it.

Thank you all in advance.

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also...do you think a $200 warranty for the next 3 years would be worth it?

JOSHUA
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.AZ.GTO View Post
Does anyone have this one? I am about to buy it here tonight. I have $150 in Sears gift cards and its on sale for $449. Out of pocket I would spend $300.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Just looking for thoughts on this particular model or any experience with using it.

Thank you all in advance.
***Bought***

JOSHUA

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Josh,
I wish I'd seen your post sooner. The big question is: what do you plan to use it for?

I looked at the page with the specs for it, and saw "SCFM delivery at 90 PSI: 11.3 SCFM". If you're planning to use it to paint or to run air tools, that's going to be a little "light". You want 15 SCFM at 90 PSI, minimum for those jobs. Otherwise the compressor is going to tend to run "all the time" and that's going to result in "hot" air with a lot of condensation/water in it. The air system you plumb it into is also very important. You want at least 20 feet of line between the compressor and your first delivery point, and that line should be hard pipe - steel is ok, copper is better - and it needs to slope "downhill" back towards the compressor. Purpose being: the metal will help cool the air so the condensation will tend to drop out of it, and the slope will help it tend to run back towards the compressor instead of out through whatever you'r using the air for. If you're going to be painting with it, this is very important as is having a very good moisture removal system prior to your gun. Here's what I'm using.. Also when you plumb your air system, linclude "drops" that are low points with valves at the end of them so that you'll have places where you can drain the water out of the lines - here's an example. My air system has three such drops like this - one near the feed for my air tools (that's the one in the previous photo), another at the feed for my paint gun, and a third that's below the point where my compressor connects to the air line. You'ld be surprised to see how quickly these points need to be drained when you're using the compressor a lot on a hot, humid day. It's quite possible to spend as much on your air-line system as you do on the compressor, if not more.

EDIT: There's a guy over on the Paintucation forums, GaryL, who's a real expert in air systems. It'd pay you to go over there and search out all his posts on the topic. I'm no expert on the topic - everything I wrote above is basically an echo of things I learned from him
When I upgraded my air system last year and put in this compressor, I followed his advice. It's big enough, but just barely. When I was running the air sander here recently, wet sanding the paint getting ready to buff it, the compressor ran quite a bit and I still had to pay attention to keeping the system drained fairly often.

Another edit: (Just because I don't want you to think I'm being a "negative Nelly" I used a tiny 2hp portable 110v Campbell Hausfeld for 15 years or more, and ran air tools and everything with it. I had it plumbed about as "wrong" as you can do it, with PVC pipe, because I just didn't know any better. I even used it to apply all the primer coats to my car. I just had to "adapt" - i.e. pay close attention to keeping it drained and also spend lots of time waiting for it to "catch up". It didn't matter for the primer because I knew I was going to sand all that anyway. I only upgraded because I didn't want to be in the position of having put in hundreds of hours getting the car finally ready to paint, then have the paint job messed up (and "waste" all that expensive paint and clear) by a compressor that wasn't up to it.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

Last edited by BearGFR; 08-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Garage
Josh, That's a sweet compressor, I'm envious! That should do everything you need for a long time. I'm on my 3rd compressor, I do paint and bodywork and mine only has a 25 gallon tank, but I do have an extra 25 gallon tank hooked up to it.
Great price, nice!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bigger than what I have (also a Craftsman). I don't paint, but I did try to blast with mine. It couldn't keep up, but I really didn't think it would. Mine works all my impact tools and air wrenches fine. It is 1/2 the size of yours. I never buy extended warranties. Nice compressor! Eric

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
You did good IMO by not getting one of those oil-less compressors. They are a joke. You'll be able to leave this one to your kids someday....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for your input, I get to go pick it up tonight. I plan on using it for everything,....from air tools to stripping and primming. I hope it will do the job and then some. For $300, if it only lasts for this project.... I will consider it well worth it, but I hope for more.

Bear, I will be definately plumbing it from another room. My garage has a small workshop built into the back of the garage. I plan on putting the compressor in that back shop area and pipe the hose out to the garage area. So I will most likely have future questions on what goes where and what I will need for moisture traps and how to run the lines. I do plan on painting my own car, cross that bridge when the time comes. I will definately check out that website you referred me to and The PaintUCation series is on my Xmas list.

I have been looking into purchasing a mig welder as well to handle just a few patches I will need to be making. Probably buy some sheet metal and get a lot of practice under my belt before moving onto the patches on the car. I like the Eastwood Mig 135, does anyone have this particular unit? For the money it seems to be the best unit I have found.

JOSHUA
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Garage
I'm with Alky, I was scared you bought one of those noisy oil less compressors, that was #1 I had, lol.. You got a nice compressor. A multi stage compressor is better, and more efficient, but bang for the buck you got all the compressor you will ever need. And it will last beyond this project, and forever.
For Welders, I have a flux core welder, and want a true Mig, I am looking at getting the tank and reg for my Lincoln welder. If you are just welding body panels, you do need something with argon, but 110 V should work fine for body panels, so low end is OK. If you aren't doing panels and welds arent' showing, a flux $100 welder does work. I thought mine was crap, then my neighbor, a welder in the army used mine and it did great, gave me respect for my welder.. It's all about setting the welder up for the application and practice.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 AM

So true but the flux splatter and the price of the wire is not to good once you start really using a welder. I have a nice 220v mig and have the regulator but still need to go down and get a tank plus a set for my acetylene torch. I have a 220 ac/dc stick welder also. I shopped around at pawn shops and craigslist till I found everything. The stick welder and the torch set where brand new. Still sealed up in there boxes. The mig had been used just for 6 months to weld on a few body panels. I don't have $500 in all of them. Now I am looking for a Tig and a Plasma cutter.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in