Air conditioning radiator rubber seals - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Air conditioning radiator rubber seals

Bought a seal kit from Ames with fasteners... thought I had all the parts to install... I've found that I really only have the bottom metal pieces and not the side ones..... Any one out there have any ideas on where to finds these items..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They're not reproduced as far as I know. I have a set of originals and used them as templates for new rubber seals. I think I've seen the rubber pieces in kits from OPG. Does anyone in your local club or nearby have ones you can use as a guide to fabricate your own brackets?

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your response. As I said I purchased the rubber seal kit from Ames. And I looked into installing them it appears that I'm missing some of the metal pieces that attach to the rubber pieces. I don't belong to any clubs so I really don't have any resources to ask that question .. Perhaps that's something I should research. Thanks again for your help.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This probably doesn't help you too much without being able to see them in person, but the metal brackets are simple pressed steel with the rubber seals stapled to them. They wouldn't be too difficult to bend into shape if you had guide to go off. Attached is a blow-up from one of the seal kits. The sharpest angles are the ones listed as #4 & #5. You can probably gin something up with a little trial and error. I don't have ready access to my car at the moment or I would try to post a close-up photo. Maybe someone else who sees this can provide better detail. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4740a gto ac seals.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	61610  

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Does anyone have templates that could be used to make up the metal attaching plates needed to install the seal kit?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoearl View Post
Bought a seal kit from Ames with fasteners... thought I had all the parts to install... I've found that I really only have the bottom metal pieces and not the side ones..... Any one out there have any ideas on where to finds these items..
Did you buy the same fastener kit (See below) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty7GTO View Post
Does anyone have templates that could be used to make up the metal attaching plates needed to install the seal kit?
I bought the P168 A/C seal kit ($39) & the P168DK A/C seal fastener kit ($73) from Ames. I only worked on the baffles to the left & right of the radiator today. If I remember correctly, that's #10 & #11 in the picture 67Twistytee posted. I'll get to the rest of the baffles in a week or two.
That's a lot of money to spend for what I got. I'm wondering if the fasteners I got are defective (the one he's pointing to at the top right of the picture). When I pressed them in, one of the legs snapped off of three of them, and I don't think the legs should be mated together the way they are. Unfortunately, I don't have any baffles on the car to use as a guide, but one of the original clips was still in one of the holes.The quality does not appear to be there when comparing the two. And the ones that didn't break are very loose. It seems like the two legs need to be spread apart a bit to create any tension. Sorry, not sure how else to word that, and I'm too tired to care!

I'll reply back if anything new comes up in my case. Worse case, I'll use a small bolt, washer, and nut to hold them in place until I figure out something better. These aren't going to cut it.

John
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I believe I did buy those seal kits. It’s been many years ago when I bought it. I put some of them on where I could. Particularly the ones on either side of the radiator to go up and down the side. And the one that goes directly under the radiator the long pieces on each side of the radiator bottom side. I haven’t looked at the seal kit in a while to see what’s left but if I remember right I just didn’t have Metal pieces to help me attach the rest of it. You mentioned some pictures and I don’t see them. If someone could give me some close-up pictures of a completed seal kit installed that would be very helpful. And possibly I can fabricate some metal pieces out of some sheet metal. Thanks for any help. As mentioned the seal kit isn’t cheap and it’s a shame to have it sit on the shelf. Thanks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Call Ames, and talk to someone over there. They are quite knowledgeable, and can lead you in the right direction for solving your problem.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

radiator caps

May sound like a silly question but I think I need a new radiator cap. Which one should I choose? All the ones I’m looking at show a 16 pound cap for My 66 GTO. I believe the maximum stock AC Was 15 pounds. Any suggestions appreciated.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelau27 View Post
Call Ames, and talk to someone over there. They are quite knowledgeable, and can lead you in the right direction for solving your problem.
I just got off the phone with Ames, and logged in here to give an update. I was told they have some notes for those fasteners.
The legs stick together when they are painted, and should be separated slightly before install. Also, you need to be dead on straight when pressing them in. The fasteners can be ordered individually (P168DC).

I ordered the wrong radiator insulators, so waiting on the new ones to arrive. Will replace the atf fluid in the meanwhile. I'll be able to try to start her up before too long!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in