LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Allow me to expose my ignorance

Ok, I'm newb to this site.

I've quite possibly been "bitten by the goat". Not sure how or when, but the last week or so have really gotten into the idea of doing a GTO project. I've had the "bug" for a muscle car of some sort for a long time now, and have spent most of my attention on either a '70 or '71 Corvette 454, or on building a Shelby Cobra replica. I have a wife and 4 kids at home ranging from 14 to 6, so having something most of us could ride in has its appeal (but then again, solo cruises have their merit as well!).

My thought is that I really like the vintage look of the GTO, in particular the '66/'67. But I may like to use modern suspension components and drivetrain (i.e. GM crate motor). Don't think this would be a "restomod", as it would still look vintage on the outside and in the interior. But the engine compartment and underneath would definitely not be standard/original.

To do this I've been thinking the best route to take would be to find an actual GTO, but one that either has no engine/trans or has something non-original (i..e why pay for numbers-matching if you're just going to go a different route). But perhaps I could get a Lemans and do a clone, as that path appears to have been blazed any number of times.

I have limited mechanical skills (used to have a '66 Mustang 2+2 that I did some mild resto work on and rebuilt the starter numerous times, but that's about it) so at best I'd be an Assembler, certainly not much of a Fabricator.

Not sure of the budget yet, but know that I do not intend for this to be a relatively high dollar project. I'm thinking 20K? Again, I don't know what I don't know with these cars, so that number is probably meaningless.

Just wondering what folks on here might have as far as tips/commentary. I've enjoyed poking around on here already, by the way.

One last thing: my only Pontiac "street cred" is that my family used to have a '71 Firebird back in the day. My Dad traded it in on an AMC Pacer about a year before I got my license. The horror....

alan in Houston

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss." - Pete Townshend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
Ok, I'm newb to this site.

I've quite possibly been "bitten by the goat". Not sure how or when, but the last week or so have really gotten into the idea of doing a GTO project. I've had the "bug" for a muscle car of some sort for a long time now, and have spent most of my attention on either a '70 or '71 Corvette 454, or on building a Shelby Cobra replica. I have a wife and 4 kids at home ranging from 14 to 6, so having something most of us could ride in has its appeal (but then again, solo cruises have their merit as well!).

My thought is that I really like the vintage look of the GTO, in particular the '66/'67. But I may like to use modern suspension components and drivetrain (i.e. GM crate motor). Don't think this would be a "restomod", as it would still look vintage on the outside and in the interior. But the engine compartment and underneath would definitely not be standard/original.

To do this I've been thinking the best route to take would be to find an actual GTO, but one that either has no engine/trans or has something non-original (i..e why pay for numbers-matching if you're just going to go a different route). But perhaps I could get a Lemans and do a clone, as that path appears to have been blazed any number of times.

I have limited mechanical skills (used to have a '66 Mustang 2+2 that I did some mild resto work on and rebuilt the starter numerous times, but that's about it) so at best I'd be an Assembler, certainly not much of a Fabricator.

Not sure of the budget yet, but know that I do not intend for this to be a relatively high dollar project. I'm thinking 20K? Again, I don't know what I don't know with these cars, so that number is probably meaningless.

Just wondering what folks on here might have as far as tips/commentary. I've enjoyed poking around on here already, by the way.

One last thing: my only Pontiac "street cred" is that my family used to have a '71 Firebird back in the day. My Dad traded it in on an AMC Pacer about a year before I got my license. The horror....
instead of a gm crate motor why not pick up a used 04-06 gto drivetrain and seats and use that.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post
instead of a gm crate motor why not pick up a used 04-06 gto drivetrain and seats and use that.
I like your thinking on the drivetrain part! Old and new meet, that kind of thing.

Want to keep feel of original interior, just the whole experience from there, so wouldn't use the new seats.

Thanks!

alan in Houston

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Firebird for a PACER!!!!, i hope they gave him cash back..... when me and my wife were dating as teens her mom had a Pacer Wagon...the only thing uglier than a regular pacer ("fishbowl on wheels" i called it). Welcome to the forum, many people are using the 04-06 drivetrains from wrecked GTO's (plenty around) and if you look in that section here you will see they can make tons of power. A-body suspension can be modified from many vendors as it is the same as the chevelle, skies the limit depending on your wallet. See "Erictheanimal"'s frame and suspension setup. Initial cost of a Tempest or Lemans would be less than a true GTO and leave more for mods. I would suggest finding the best original bodied car you can afford with either a blown or missing drivetrain as you won't need it, Good Body & Paint is extremely expensive to pay someone to do, and your paint will only ever be as good as the body is.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

I think if you buy a 66/67 GTO complete and start driving it around and while performing minor upgrades. Brakes, suspension, tires, wheels, etc. you will be happy with the car. You would be able to do most of this work yourself. You would have a torque monster that handles with the best of them.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome aks, we're neighbore - sort of. I live in Garland TX (near Dallas).

I'm a big fan of the statement, "It's your car, your cash, do with both as you will." But, having said that, I hope you don't mind if I make a polite appeal to you to please put a real Pontiac motor in any Pontiac that you might build.

In general, street performance is all about low rpm torque, and there's not much that will touch a well built Pontiac in that department.

Welcome...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
In order to do a motor or tranny in a Pacer SW without removing both was to drill a hole in the firewall from inside the car to get to the bell housing bolts then replace with a plastic plug!!
Swore at a Manny of those back in the day!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Welcome aks, we're neighbore - sort of. I live in Garland TX (near Dallas).

I'm a big fan of the statement, "It's your car, your cash, do with both as you will." But, having said that, I hope you don't mind if I make a polite appeal to you to please put a real Pontiac motor in any Pontiac that you might build.

In general, street performance is all about low rpm torque, and there's not much that will touch a well built Pontiac in that department.

Welcome...

Bear
Thanks for the welcome. I'm starting to get into the idea of putting in an '04-'06 GTO engine, plus I'll research other ideas for Pontiac mills.

Good stuff.

alan in Houston

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 AM

The gto 04-06 with the aftermarket suport of the ls engine's great some day i want to do the same to my gto some day.

66 GTO basket case lots of rust Was My dad's project
Parts Cars
66 body / 67 Tempest
The Rest Of the Toys
71 Cutlass Supreme Drag Car, 72 Vista Cruiser, 08 Mustang GT (The Wifes)
And a Few Powerstrokes To Pull Them
JJ
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
In order to do a motor or tranny in a Pacer SW without removing both was to drill a hole in the firewall from inside the car to get to the bell housing bolts then replace with a plastic plug!!
Swore at a Manny of those back in the day!!
I'm shocked anyone actually wanted the motor replaced in the pacer. I would think it a relief that the car is actually dead and you didn't have to drive it anymore. I have seen some cool Pacer drag cars and I would rock one of those, or a Gremlin.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in