Almost a DD - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Almost a DD

Great weather and an abundance of work in the neighborhood from the hail storm has afforded me a chance to daily drive the Tempest the last few weeks when i dont need my truck for hauling stuff. Man what a joy these cars are to drive, now i truly know how they earned the "legend" status. With everything new and properly aligned the car is straight as an arrow at any speed. quick ratio steering and air bags make it easy to maneuver on turns and amazingly agile for a car of its length and weight. The front disks help bring it down quickly from the break neck speeds that are a foot push away. On the open straights and highway she drives like a Caddy and lopes along at 70 well under 3000, betting it would hit 120 well before redline with the 2:56 gear. Starts every time and is hard pressed to rise over 185 in stand still traffic. And another plus is when i pull up for a sales call, half the time i end up talking a half hour with the customer out by the car before i even break out a tape to start measuring the job, great way to break the ice with potential customers. Was a little worried that it would be pretentious to pull up in something like this but i tell them i built it with my own hands in the garage and i built it for driving.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
To cool! Especiallly building it yourself. Built not bought. Also shows your skills. Just pulled my 454 out of the yard and drove it, yeah, lots of fun.. Drive it as much as you can, glad work is good.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
To cool! Especiallly building it yourself. Built not bought. Also shows your skills. Just pulled my 454 out of the yard and drove it, yeah, lots of fun.. Drive it as much as you can, glad work is good.

Not being able to do much of the big work on my car, I really respect guys like you that can "do it themselves." Have fun driving your car.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Brian, Happy to see the car is coming along so well.....when you said almost a DD, I thought you got breast augmentation!!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Great news! Few "modern car" drivers realize just how well that a well-sorted old A-body can run and drive. My '67 is much easier on my lower back than my "newer" vehicles, and it rides much better, too. These cars are simple, well designed, well thought out, and comfortable. One reason why I've never stopped driving them!! As a plus, they get better looking every year...unlike myself!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
definately shows a potential customer that you know how to 'work"....glad you are enjoying the car!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I'd love to DD my GTO. The suspension upgrades, brake upgrades and adequit power make it a delight to drive on the highway and backroads. Unfortunately my 108 mile daily commute and the 3 mpg it gets just don't compute......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Yeah thats a long haul Alky, but i bet you would never be late...

I tell you what something about driving this car on a long windy deserted country stretch on a sunny day, with a little BTO, Grand Funk or other period music and it puts you right back there in time...even though i was only 1 in 66'

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 PM

Garage
I'm with you gater. I was born in Oct 65 also, don't know these cars til the 80's when they were old used cars, had my tempest then. But my 66 could of been born it the same month as me.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 PM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
I'm with you gater. I was born in Oct 65 also, don't know these cars til the 80's when they were old used cars, had my tempest then. But my 66 could of been born it the same month as me.
The frame assembly date stamp on my '66 Chevelle SS is my birthday, except I turned 14.......yeah I'm old and I listened to BTO and Grand Funk when their songs were released....

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in