Alternator and voltage regulator - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alternator and voltage regulator

A million years ago when I worked as a mechanic I remember welcoming the technology of the alternator partly because it eliminated the need for a regulator. I'm putting together a 69 gto that someone else took apart and find a regulator among the parts. I look in the manual and sure enough the schema has3 wires from the harness going to a regulator. Is there an easy way to just get a more modern alternator and eliminate the regulator?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
NAPA sells a 1 wire alt that's pretty cheap too, but then your battery light will not work right.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yes.

And if you make other upgrades, like electric cooling fans, killer stereo, etc. you'll also find that the stock alternator can't keep up with the load.

I converted my 69 to a CS-130 format alternator spec'ed for an 80's Pontiac Safari wagon. It makes 105 amps as opposed to the original's 65. Eliminating the external regulator and running that alternator (or one similar) is simple, and I even kept my GEN light function.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in