any forum members near Volo, Il ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any forum members near Volo, Il ?

Greetings from the great state of Texas. Any forum members live near this stealership?

Volo Auto
27582 Volo Village Rd, Volo, IL 60073
(815) 385-3644

They have a nice clean 1966 GTO convertible that I am thinking of pulling the trigger but would appreciate eyes on the ground so to speak. After 11 years in the army, I am used to being lied to. Dealers always skip facts like the amount of rust or the immaculate paint job that was laid down last week by Earl Scheib.

I have heard good things about Vanguard but they seem to be a little pricey. Then again you get what you pay for. After living in Germany for the last 11 years being owned by the army and then working for the army I have to say this country has kinda gone tits up. I am about to hit 50 and it is time to cross off buying a classic muscle car off the bucket list. I was fortunate to bring back a few quirky European vehicles Unimogs and Land Rovers so this will be a new plunge into American classic muscle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quirkiness from across the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150415_165215.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	66754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	66762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	66770  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyscopejockey View Post
Greetings from the great state of Texas. Any forum members live near this stealership?

Volo Auto
27582 Volo Village Rd, Volo, IL 60073
(815) 385-3644

They have a nice clean 1966 GTO convertible that I am thinking of pulling the trigger but would appreciate eyes on the ground so to speak. After 11 years in the army, I am used to being lied to. Dealers always skip facts like the amount of rust or the immaculate paint job that was laid down last week by Earl Scheib.

I have heard good things about Vanguard but they seem to be a little pricey. Then again you get what you pay for. After living in Germany for the last 11 years being owned by the army and then working for the army I have to say this country has kinda gone tits up. I am about to hit 50 and it is time to cross off buying a classic muscle car off the bucket list. I was fortunate to bring back a few quirky European vehicles Unimogs and Land Rovers so this will be a new plunge into American classic muscle.
Here is my 2 cents (that is ALL it is worth BTW). It is ALWAYS best to go see a car for yourself IF;

1) it is possible for you to do so
2) You are legitimately a good mechanic and can spot real problems.

I have owned just over 100 cars, I have been screwed on some and got some pretty good deals. I am a half way decent shade tree mechanic and would not have a problem yanking a motor or trans but would never have the time or ability to do a full restoration like the car I have now.

GET THE CAR INSPECTED BY A PRO! I trusted the dealer on the car I got just before this current GTO. I bought a "restored" 1964 Impala COnvertible 409 4 speed from a dealer in New York called WeBeAutos. That turned into a three year nightmare. Three years of me fixing it to make it right just to get out from under it without losing my ass. I had the dealer send me pics and do a video walk around, all fine but he was lying through his teeth.

NEVER AGAIN! Spend the few hundred dollars and get the pro to write up a FULL REPORT. You will know everything you are getting into then.

The car you are looking at looks nice, a solid #3 car which is great. BUT if it was frame off why didn't they change the gas tank or at least the rusty straps? Why no tandem master cylinder?

There could be PERFECTLY valid reasons, that is what the professional inspector can tell you.

Again your mileage may vary, I have lost my ass in the past and made out like a bandit as well. Why not make the odds in your favor?

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/re...26+Inspections

1965 GTO Convertible, Hurst 4 Speed

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can also start a thread in the regional section where Illinois is located and see if you can get someone hear on the forum to go check the car out and give you their opinion of it.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Even if you see it yourself, you are still taking a gamble. I flew to Lubbock to look at my Goat. Took a test drive, and all was well, or so I thought. Made a deal to have it delivered to me on a trailer in New Orleans. That's when the fun began. I won't bore you all with the details. Let's just say I might not have bought the car if I knew then what I know now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:27 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I've been to Volo....was there in 2013. 90% of their cars were very overpriced for what they were. I think I saw 3 reasonably priced cars. They had a '65 GTO ragtop for 50k that I wouldn't have paid 25k for. IF YOU WANT ONE OF THEIR CARS DO NOT BUY IT SIGHT UNSEEN. You are much better being out the cost of an airline ticket than to end up with a potential turd. I am not disrespecting Volo here, but you need to be careful with any potential purchase of this magnitude.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll echo geeteeohguy's reply. I've been to the Volo Auto Museum many times. Good place to visit. No disrespect , but they are very similar other "Muscle Car Dealers" If it's truly a nice car, it's typically quite expensive. If seems reasonably priced, check it our very thoroughly. I've looked, and passed on, at least ten cars there over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in