LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Article - 65 GTO Restomod - pic heavy, little details

Stunning Restomod 1965 Pontiac GTO Convertible

This is what made me post about it

"Those 18-inch Coys wheels spin 235/40 front and 255/45 Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR rubber, while brake power is provided by a quartet of The Right Stuff disc brakes."

Good info/example about wheels/tires regarding sizes and brakes with pictures, I wish the article said what the suspension was though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
And why again is it worth $99,000??? Hey, I like resto-mod, but installing add-ons that are more of a trend than traditional doesn't seem to justify the absurd price. Someday the tires/rims, digital dash, etc., will no longer be desirable anymore than jacking up the rear end real high, ladder bars, slotted aluminum Ansen rims, N-50 steam roller tires, and tunnel rams. The true value of this car is far less than the asking price -my opinion.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 07:42 AM

I don't completely hate it, but at the same time I think it was a singular vision. It probably took more than $100K to build it with national average shop rates of $70-75/hr. I wouldn't want it for any reason and prefer "Day 2" to most anything else.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I agree. Well done, in the current popular style that may look as dated as an avocado green refrigerator in ten years or so. The big wheels kill it for me, but that's what the kids go for these days. They don't remember Day One or Day Two, and aren't into that. If customized at all, I'd rather have it sitting on Hi-Jackers with those N-50's and Ansens, and Cherry Bomb mufflers.....Day Two, '70's style. So dated that it's still cool, IMO. Funny how the ad tries to appeal to the graybeard set by mentioning Motown groups of the day, etc., which would suit a '65 riding on skinny redline tires and and having a stock interior. For this car, they should have named whatever's popular today, like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I agree. Well done, in the current popular style that may look as dated as an avocado green refrigerator in ten years or so. The big wheels kill it for me, but that's what the kids go for these days. They don't remember Day One or Day Two, and aren't into that. If customized at all, I'd rather have it sitting on Hi-Jackers with those N-50's and Ansens, and Cherry Bomb mufflers.....Day Two, '70's style. So dated that it's still cool, IMO. Funny how the ad tries to appeal to the graybeard set by mentioning Motown groups of the day, etc., which would suit a '65 riding on skinny redline tires and and having a stock interior. For this car, they should have named whatever's popular today, like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.
Yeah, I had to throw in the '70's look because it not only dates me, I still think it looks more muscle car era than what seems to be pushed out of shops nowadays.

Just got the latest Hotrod magazine. On the cover - a 1965 GTO clone with my least favorite Chevy LS engine, because as the article states, "It's hard to beat modern LS platforms for reliable GM power." (Pontiac engines don't make reliable power?) And the owner machined the word "Pontiac" into the valve cover - I guess he might be trying to use the psychology term on would be admirer's called "Transference."

Transference: Displacement of affect from one person or one idea to another; in psychoanalysis, generally applied to the projection of feelings, thoughts, and wishes of the owner of an LS powered GTO/Clone onto the unschooled observer, who has come to represent a Chevy person from the owner's past.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 AM

I think us grey beards are the only ones who could afford something like this. Sorta like the drivers seen in 90% of the new Vettes around here. My comment on reliable Pontiac power, every real Poncho I've ever owned NEVER failed to start unless the battery was dead. They never flooded or starved, never gave me any grief, always had a welcome reserve of real TORQUE. Even a lowly 350 in a 72 'bird had TQ. Most all of them had the same quirk though. In the 1st 500mi after an oil change or a top up they all used just under 1qt of oil and never another drop after that for the next 3K plus miles. Wierd huh? I came around to simply accepting it and let em eat with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in