Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction

Anyone else notice that there were not too many GTOs for sale at the recent Barrett-Jackson auctions? Enough with the bow-ties, especially the Corvettes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
No surprises there! Pontiacs will never be as popular as Chevrolets, for the same reason that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale will never be as popular as Bud Lite. All a matter of taste. Some of us have it, but most of us don't!!!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I watched a good bit of it and I didn't see any GTOs but they probably came across when I wasn't looking.

I only recall seeing a twin set of Solstices and the US NAVY Bonneville ambulance that transported JFK.

I never recall seeing so many Corvettes up for auction as I did at this event.

I am headed to the Atlantic City Auction at the end of Feb. Many times the cars that sell on BJ end up there. They must go from Auction to Auction for a flipping.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Saw a nice 70 Jude sell for some good money.......

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
I watched a good bit of it and I didn't see any GTOs but they probably came across when I wasn't looking.

I only recall seeing a twin set of Solstices and the US NAVY Bonneville ambulance that transported JFK.

I never recall seeing so many Corvettes up for auction as I did at this event.

I am headed to the Atlantic City Auction at the end of Feb. Many times the cars that sell on BJ end up there. They must go from Auction to Auction for a flipping.
I saw a '68 go for $62K. I believe it was "out of the collection" of Alice Cooper. I know in the past years, the GTO's were being auctioned during commercials. The car that started the muscle car era gets the least amount of respect.. How many mustangs did we see?????? Year after year....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM

I was also surprised at how few GTOs were sold .I checked the listing and there were only 16 GTOs for sale in the whole auction,not one 64 or 65. Maybe people are keeping them since Pontiac is no more. I do like the 1st and 2nd gen Corvettes alot anything after those years not so much- the 63 Corvette body with the twin turbo LS7 putting out over 1000hp looked like a very fun ride. As for the Camaros- keep em. I do buy Sierra Nevada more than any Bud product. I also thought the 61 Impala with the 12 cylinder BMW motor and drive line was a very well built car. I am stunned at how many people have 100k+ to throw at a car. What the hell do you do with it then? Drive it down to the local burger joint??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustysack View Post
I also thought the 61 Impala with the 12 cylinder BMW motor and drive line was a very well built car. I am stunned at how many people have 100k+ to throw at a car. What the hell do you do with it then? Drive it down to the local burger joint??
It's the 5, 50, 500 analogy, if I have $10 million, what is $100K? Or for Hendrick, if I have $1billion? Hendrick will buy a car at BJ and never drive it or look at it again, just has his people pick it up and throw it into his collection.
Honestly, what do you do with the car when it's done? We have very few shows here, and when it's 90+ degrees, I'm not hanging out in a parking lot for the day, I'm not a show guy. So my cars sit or go to autozone as parts runners. I think it's all the fun of the build..
I saw a few GTO's go across the block, they weren't huge money. With the super high end cars getting TV time, BJ figured out what the viewing audience wants to see, and it's not $20K GTOs, Chevelles, Camaro's or the like. They air high ticket items, which some still go cheap=not for me, but for people with money, lol.. It was cool to see Rick Hendrick pick up a few rides, all at $100K each.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 AM

Did the prices seem to be higher than the previous two years? It's just shocking how the market has tanked.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 AM

the prices were DEFINITELY higher than last 2 years although all the craziness takes place on Saturday. the first 2 days had some very good values ,and I also saw a ton of cars sell for "less than it cost to restore it"
Could be a good sign for the economy when the millionaires are spending silly money like this
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Showgoat67 Send a message via MSN to Showgoat67
Well there was a 67 hardtop that went for 49k and a 68 convertible that went for 68k and a 69 convertible that went for 42k wasnt to bad for the gto's this time around.

If it isnt a GTO then why are you driving it.[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in