battery and charger question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
battery and charger question

Last year I bought a optima redtop for the gto then picked up a craftsman 2amp float charger for the winter,well a few days ago the charger was flashing and the batt toast.

I took it back to sams club to Exchange the batt and was told they didn't carry the optima brand anymore and was given a Duracell 78dt agm instead.

1. Has anyone used or have knowledge of the Duracell? I felt like it was a down grade. The redtop was $45 more and the Duracell has slightly less cca amps. But both are agm.

2. What's a good float charger I can use the winter that won't tear up the batt?

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as a battery charger, Battery Tender is extremely popular.......

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Battery Minders are also good and have "pulse" technology which claims to prevent sulfation. I have both Deltran and Battery Minder products which work great. As a manager of battery store we use a 10 bank Deltran tender to float our batteries after charging with a standard charger. We charge to about 12.2 volts and float it up to 13.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

JOSHUA
1970 GTO 455HO Cardinal Red

Last edited by Josh.AZ.GTO; 05-21-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Incorrect use of terminology.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

I'll pick up one of those deltran batt tenders today,thx for the advice.

Would the Jr. Model be ok for me?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Garage
I usually recommend the Deltran 12v 1.25 for full size car batteries (my preference). The Jr. will work though, just takes longer to reach "float". Also, they are load bearing so they must be connected to a battery to take a voltage reading, if you are ever trying to test the tender. Also, if the battery is too low in voltage they will not recognize they are connected to a battery and thus not charge/float your battery.

JOSHUA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejudge 69GTO View Post
Last year I bought a optima redtop for the gto then picked up a craftsman 2amp float charger for the winter,well a few days ago the charger was flashing and the batt toast.

I took it back to sams club to Exchange the batt and was told they didn't carry the optima brand anymore and was given a Duracell 78dt agm instead.

1. Has anyone used or have knowledge of the Duracell? I felt like it was a down grade. The redtop was $45 more and the Duracell has slightly less cca amps. But both are agm.

2. What's a good float charger I can use the winter that won't tear up the batt?

Scott
Most places like Sam's Club and Costco quit selling Optimas, but you should be able to get them warrantied through Optima corporate if you insist on another Optima. The Durcacell batteries are most likely a relabel of another brand. One day at my store I had a guy come in and pull the Exide labels and replace them with Rayovac. Just like that we sell Rayovac now. We get ours from East Penn. Still the same manufacturer though, just new label. Roughly around 2009 Optima moved manufacturing (changed ownership) to Mexico and had quality issues for some time. Since then they have come back around in terms of quality but the warranty has drastically been reduced to only a 3 year free replacement and no more proration period.

I have a similar battery to your Duracell in our store which is also an AGM, typically they seem to last just as long as the Optimas. I would just make sure that the warranties line up or that you get your 3 years of your original purchase warranty.

Also as a note to others, you might want to check your warranty information and verify what is able to be warrantied. Through the company I work for, we (through corporate) refund the purchase of a new battery if you have to purchase a battery and our company was not open, able, or near where your battery has died, like in an emergency case situation.

JOSHUA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.AZ.GTO View Post
Most places like Sam's Club and Costco quit selling Optimas, but you should be able to get them warrantied through Optima corporate if you insist on another Optima.
You would think that would be the case but I seem to recall sparring with 'Optima Jim' a couple of years ago about that here. I've owned a couple of those highly overated (IMO) Optima batteries in the past. Both of the ones that I had troulbe with came from Costco. I tried to get a warranty exchange thorugh Optima on the last one since Costco no longer sold them at that point and they told me I'd have to take it back to where I purchased it.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Another thing to keep in mind is to never charge any battery with gel technology with more than a trickle charger. If you overcharge, you can cause gas bubbles in the gel that stay there, like swiss cheese, leaving the plates exposed. I always go with 2 amps and a long time....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Optima battery

I also have the Optima Redtop battery. Optima now sells a charger for their batteries. Check out this link:

OPTIMA Chargers Digital 1200 Battery Charger - 12V Performance Charger and Battery Maintainer
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is to never charge any battery with gel technology with more than a trickle charger. If you overcharge, you can cause gas bubbles in the gel that stay there, like swiss cheese, leaving the plates exposed. I always go with 2 amps and a long time....
I have seen this many times. I have warrantied many Optimas over the years that make fizzing sounds (one that lasted for almost 2 days) usually due to over charging at high amps such as 10.

My opinion is anything under 5 volts to use a 10 amp* for 30 minutes to an hour at most and then 2 amps the rest of the way. Being in the battery business I can vouch that slow but surely like 2 amps on an automatic charger turns out the best results.

(*The only reason I use 10 amps is attempt to charge the battery quickly up to 12 volts for warranty purposes.)

All of my personal batteries I charge @ 2 amps till near full then onto the float charger till it is completely topped off.

JOSHUA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in