Battery Topper Question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Battery Topper Question

I have been running a battery topper to simulate the original Delco R-50 battery for about 15 years in by '65 GTO. I have been using a Delco maintenance free battery. Recently my battery failed and I went to get a new maintenance free battery. It seems that all the Delco batteries are now not maintenance free and the caps will obviously not work the the topper.

First question, is it possible to get a Delco maintenance free battery?

Second question, if not what maintenance free battery are you guys using with your topper?

Third question, I've seen some reproduction R-59 batteries that are maintenance free but they are pricey. Are they any good? It seems that the old reproduction tar top batteries were junk. Guys would just use them for show. Are these new repro batteries any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 PM

I bought one from AutoZone. (Duralast) I believe it was a group 124?. I am pretty confident it wasn't a group 24. I took my battery topper in to the store with me to make sure the location of terminals on the battery matched the holes in the battery topper.
Unfortunately the positive and negative indicators on the topper are opposite of the actual terminals.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I found out the Delco does still make a maintenance free group 24 battery. It's called a Sixty Series. The topper fits it perfectly.

Oldeboy, you got one with the terminals reversed. They make them both ways.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I searched for several days to find a battery that matched the topper's positive and negative post and wound up with a the Legend 75 from NAPA. Before that I paid an arm and a leg for the R59, I left the dome light on which drained the battery and it never took a charge after that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery1.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	15801  

Randy

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM

I didn't notice that the topper had the markings on it before I bought the battery. I will take notice next time and probably end up with the NAPA or the Delco.

05GTO: I notice you have the correct battery terminals with the spring clips. I puchased some of these cables recently. Is there a tool/trick to using these so I don't bend up the spring clips when putting them on/taking them off the terminals.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldeboy View Post
I didn't notice that the topper had the markings on it before I bought the battery. I will take notice next time and probably end up with the NAPA or the Delco.

05GTO: I notice you have the correct battery terminals with the spring clips. I puchased some of these cables recently. Is there a tool/trick to using these so I don't bend up the spring clips when putting them on/taking them off the terminals.
I use a set of channel locks to compress the clips, I have a small current drain and I store the car with the negative cable disconnected.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in