post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Bear's a freaking idiot...

Talk about hitting bottom...

There's another TMCCC race tomorrow, and my LM-2 arrived so I was really keen to see if I could fix my fuel delivery problem.

Sorry.. it's just not in me right now to write some long story.

Took it out, hammered it, problem still existed - on the way home I smelled gas.
A voice told me I should pull over and shut it off, try to spot the leak, but noooo....
I figured I could get it home.
3 blocks from the house the fire started.
Coasted up in front of the house, ran inside and grabbed a fire extinguisher and got it out, but looks like most everything on top of the motor is cooked.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Damn....that sucks Bear, and we were just talking about the extinguisher, hope its just cosmetic, i would get a hold of the insurance company. I can feel your pain, took the Tempest out for a thrashing Thursday and i think the torque finally caught up to the TH350 and i lost 3rd gear after a little foot in the hole run. Thinking i may have toasted the torque converter, know next to nothing about transmissions.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds to me like your direct clutch gave up. If it'll move in any gear it's not the converter.

I just went out and surveyed the damage a little..
Wiper motor, probably the HEI, engine harness, ignition relay, everything center firewall is all crispy. Carb is black, vacuum pull-off diaphragm is now a puddle baked onto the intake manifold. Melted all the foam in the ram air system. Bubbled the surface of the a/c firewall plate - if I replace that then I've got to open up the system and recharge it because the hoses have to be disconnected.
Shifter is all bound up - it might have cooked the inside of the steering column I guess and seized up the back drive linkage.

And I just found some bubbles in the paint on the hood.

I'll call Hagerty I guess and talk to them and find out what options I have. I'm a little anxious about that though, what if they do like other insurance companies do and tend to cancel you if you file a claim?

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Oh man, so sorry to hear this. Thank goodness you were close to home and able to get the fire out before it cooked the whole car. I carry a fire extinguisher in every car I own. I learned the HARD way when i lost my 65 Plymouth Satelite to a fire 4 months after completing a resto mod on it top to bottom. That was a $15K lesson....in 1992 . Watched it burn to the ground and had no insurance and had to pay to get the burnt out hulk towed home.

Fire is a real bitch and scary as hell. I'm sure glad you are OK and the Beast will rise from the ashes soon I'm sure.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i hear Haggerty is good, Classics is what they do. i would go out and get shop price insurance estimates even though i am sure you will be doing it yourself. I do a lot of construction insurance work and the prices are drastically different than direct retail. They use a program similar to exactimate for the estimate. first check your coverage and see what any disclaimers are, as to where when and how the claimed incident happened.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Damn, sorry to hear that bear :thumbdown:
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aargh!

SO SAD to hear, Bear! Glad you're ok. Didn't we just talk about this a couple of weeks back when I had my little episode? Mine has been dismantled for a new fan installation, but will not be run until I get an extinguisher (one specifically for chemicals and GASOLINE). Let this be a lesson for ALL of us! Keep the chin up.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Bear, sorry to hear about that, but glad it wasn't worse. I've seen/heard of cars burning to the ground from small fires getting out of control.
I have had two claims with Hagerty over about a 10 year period. First one the front wheel came off my '74 Corvette (long story) and I think it was about $2500 to fix. They sent a check the same day I sent them the estimate and pictures and never even sent an adjuster. The second one my same Corvette slipped off a jack. This cost about $5K to fix IIRC because a lot of painting had to be done to blend it in (door, hood surround, etc). My rates haven't increased significantly and they definitely haven't cancelled me. I have another friend who has made two pretty big claims with Hagerty, has been with them a few years less than me, and also hasn't been cancelled. I would recommend you get a thorough estimate to get *everything* fixed and file the claim.
Good luck! The worst part (besides all the extra work) is having your toy out of service for a while.
Jeff

'68 GTO, 400/TH400, AC/PS/PB/PW, hideaways, Hurst dual gate
'72 442 'Vert, 350/TH350, AC/PS/PB/PW
'74 Corvette, 383/4-speed, 450 hp, restomod
'71 Javelin, 304/3-speed
'70 Cougar XR7 'Vert, 351W/FMX auto *SOLD*
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So sorry to hear this, I love your beast! I'm sure Haggerty will cover the repairs.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, we did just talk about extinguishers and I'd gotten as far as researching which one I wanted to buy, but hadn't done it yet. The heck of it is, I've got a few extra dry powder ones around here so I could have easily been carrying one in the mean time, but no - I had to hold out for the fancy one that wasn't corrosive. What else would you expect from a moron who's stupid enough to keep driving a car that's leaking fuel?

I've still got no idea where the leak was and probably won't find it now. The fire appears to have been mostly from the carb backwards.
I've been up since 4am and I'm itching to get out there and start taking things apart to size it all up, but trying to wait until Hagerty opens (noon eastern today) so I can talk to someone first.

(just call me Smokey) Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in