benefit of 15" over 14" stock rims? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
benefit of 15" over 14" stock rims?

Hey all, lookin to get a new set of skins and thinkin of changing to 15" rims. so couple of questions.
1. is there an actual advantage to goin to 15" vs 14?
2. do bolt patterns vary on 15" vs 14"?
3. do bolt patterns vary from car model to car model; I have a 69 gto lookin to change and found some early "70s" 15" rims. Just don't know if they'll fit.
4. any thoughts on where to get RWL firestones?
thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 11:29 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
15" tires are easier to find these days, so that's an advantage. The bolt pattern on Pontiacs is the same, most GM is the same. RWL tires are available from Coker and Lucas. Congrats on sticking with appropriate diameter wheels and not going the drug dealer/hip hop star route!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM

It is all personal taste, (which my kids say I have none), but I just do not care for pimped-out wheels on a classic car either.

Another advantage of 15 over 14 is more room for disc brakes up front. The Right Stuff disc brake coversion I did on my car required 15" wheels to clear the calipers.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM

I run 15's on my 64. Think it gets a better ride & a little more to bite!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I run 15's on the back and 14's on the front. Like the natural rake it gives the car.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
I run 15's on the back and 14's on the front. Like the natural rake it gives the car.
I have the same size set up. However, I'm considering moving up to 15 in the front so I can install bigger/newer disc brakes. I also need to lower my front end the gap is to big in front, especially when compared to the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1370219511126.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	22010  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtosrus View Post
Hey all, lookin to get a new set of skins and thinkin of changing to 15" rims. so couple of questions.
1. is there an actual advantage to goin to 15" vs 14?
2. do bolt patterns vary on 15" vs 14"?
3. do bolt patterns vary from car model to car model; I have a 69 gto lookin to change and found some early "70s" 15" rims. Just don't know if they'll fit.
4. any thoughts on where to get RWL firestones?
thanks all.
15 inch wheels and tires are easier to find than 14 inch AND the selection of available wheels and tires is greater. Bolt patterns can easily be found in 4.75" on 5. GM didn't change their "standard" bolt pattern until the '90s. I wouldn't run (real) Firestones if you gave them to me for free. Personal experience: bought a set of Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500s" for my '69 Chevelle, they were two years old when they delaminated (adding insult to injury: Firestone refused to stand behind them). IMHO Junk, Dangerous tires. I assume the reproduction "Firestone" Bias Belted tires from Coker Tire are Okay. Here's their link: Firestone Bias Ply Tires

Here they are at Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-62450/overview/

Last edited by Red1970GTO; 06-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

so you mention disc brake upgrades. do I have to change the brake pad size with installing 15" tires?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtosrus View Post
so you mention disc brake upgrades. do I have to change the brake pad size with installing 15" tires?
If you have drums up front and want to go with Disc brakes, you WILL need 15" wheels to clear the calipers. Not sure what your question is....

If you have drums up front and want to go to 15" wheels, you don't have to worrk about anything.
15" are just better .. which is why nothing is 14" any more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indetrucks View Post
If you have drums up front and want to go with Disc brakes, you WILL need 15" wheels to clear the calipers. Not sure what your question is....

If you have drums up front and want to go to 15" wheels, you don't have to worrk about anything.
15" are just better .. which is why nothing is 14" any more.
Shouldn't you be able to use stocker sized (11") rotors with 14s? I thought if you went to 12s you'd need the 15s for clearancing the calipers.

Tire selection would be my overall motivation for doing 15s. If you want a performance tire of some kind, I would suspect it would be cheaper overall. For something in a stock style tire it could fairly easily be a push unless you're getting into fancier tires. a 205/75R14 for my 71 Lemans runs about $55 new from Pep Boys for Cornell. Now then I wouldn't want to run them for a track car or anything, but for a cruiser they're fine. I would figure out what tires you want (diameter, tread width etc.) and then compare wheel sizes if that's your motivator.

Overall though no use fixing what isn't broken. Just plan on wheels/tires if you upgrade your brakes or you want to resize tires. I'm planning on doing some 15s when I do LS1 rotors up front in my Lemans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in