best childhood gto memories - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
best childhood gto memories

I wanted to start a thread where we post our best childhood gto memories. I have a few. one that comes to mind is when my dad had a 66 gto, tyrol blue 4 speed. It was not a daily driver but was also not a show car by any means. One day my dad was at work and my moms car would not start. My baby sister was sick and mom needed to take her to the doctor. My mom had never driven the beast before and actually hated the car. She loaded all 4 kids in the car and headed towards the doctor office. There was very little gas so she stopped at the gas station. She was not doing well with the 4 speed as far as my 10 yr old opinion percieved. that was back in the day when gas stations had guys come to pump the gas for you. The guy pumping the gas told my mom: Nice car, if you ever want to get rid of it please let me know. Mom said you have a better chance of him selling you one of these kids. I was ok with that as long as i wasnt the kid being sold.. As she pulled out of the gas station she reved the motor a popped the clutch and lit the tires up...by accident cuz she could not drive the 4 speed for nothing. when she did that i got goose bumps and looked back at the guy that filled the tank and he was pumping his arm. Moms exact words when it happened were " I hate this fu$%*ing car..My other memory was when my dad loaned the same car to my uncle and it came back 3 days later....completely totaled on the back of a tow truck. That was the end of the 66 and the start of my gto addiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
WOW! Great Thread!
I was 15 years old, working at a local service station in the early Fall.
I was closing up when a older buddy came driving in with a Brand New 1966 GTO.
Burgundy, 389, 3 Deuce, 4 Speed, beautiful car. He asked if I wanted to ride to
the local joint to get a burger. HELL YEAH! On the way back, he pulls over and
lets me drive. It's on a long straight used for street drags. I pull off easy and
then floor it. Felt better than sex!
Will never forget that drive!

Larry

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Garage
Sadly my childhood was spent in a Dodge/Ford household. My earliest memory of a GTO was when I was 14 or 15. I honestly didn't even know what a GTO was prior to that. I thought Mustangs, Camaros and Chargers were the only hot rods out there. Sad, I know right?

Well that all changed the day the 1970 GTO Judge RA III rolled into my life. It belonged to a buddy or mine's friend he was 25 they knew each other from a hunting lodge they both belonged to down in BFE Kansas. Well we all became fast friends, and we cruised that car all over Kansas. He was a crazy mother****** and drove that thing like a maniac. That was the baddest car I was ever around, and it changed my life. I never looked back and I was a Pontiac guy from then on.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 AM

I,too, was not the child of a GTO owner...
My first GTO memory was my friends sisters boyfriend that had a new green 1970 hardtop. I was 10 at the time, and only knew that this car was something special.
As for me, I was a 20 year old "kid", when a friend told me there was a 67 GTO convert for sale in our town. It all orig, but all primer, top was ripped, etc, but I picked it up for the princely sum of $500. Sold it back to my same friend a year later. Bad idea, although he fixed it up nicely. That was the start of my obsession with the Goat. Senior year in college I'm driving a 69 convert, and same friend shows me how to bounce the front end up and down, (chirping the tires, as we go) as we're passing by all the kids changing classes. It was harmless, but one of those memories that stays with me, 27 years later.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My childhood memory was always of my Dad and the Pontiac Parisienne he owned. He loved Pontiac's and would not buy anything else. He never bought a GTO, said he couldn't because it wasn't practical with five kids, but he alway's wanted one.

Last edited by Joe'sToy; 04-10-2012 at 07:11 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
^Those crazy Canuc's. Pics of your Dad's Pontiac "Impala's"?

I know there were some different Poncho's up north; Acadian's, Parisiens, Conso's. They all add to the Pontiac allure and mystery.

I'd love to see a thread dedicated to Canadian Pontiacs.

BTW my dad had a 64 Bonne he cursed because of the 4 speed hydro that always delt him fits but that was about the only Poncho until he bought a 6000 STE back in the Eighties. I remember racing my buddy's 67 383 Chrysler Newport and taking him by a fender in my front drive 6 cylinder!

My dad owned some neat cars back in the day including a couple of 56 T-birds, a real 66 Hemi Charger (factory painted in "Evening Orchid" with a white interior), 64 T-bird (which I loved) and some misc. Chevelles.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
My GTO Story

Ok, I'll share my story again

How I Fell In Love with GTO's.

It was around 1968 or 1969, during the summer. My dad owned a small used car lot in the small Texas panhandle town were I was born and raised. I helped out during the summers and on weekends, going down early to open up the place, make sure all the cars would start, filing the paper work for sales transactions, running errands, and the like. We had a relationship with a local bank for customer financing, and one day our contact dropped by to ask if he might store a couple of bank repo's on our lot until he could decide what to do with them. It's good to be nice to the bank guy, so of course we said 'Sure! bring 'em on by." The "them" in this case turned out to be two GTO's: one a maroon '66, the other a '65 - both 4-speed cars. The '65 was that metallic orchid color that Pontiac called Iris Mist, you know the one, it looked good for about a week until it oxidized. Then it looked like metallic puke. I was still fairly young, just barely in high school, and though I'd heard all the hubbub surrounding GTO's I'd never actually driven one. I usually just drove something "off the lot" and at the time, that was a '62 Ford Fairlane with a mighty 221-inch V8, "three on the tree", four-door sedan. The manual transmission was fun, and it was, embarrasing as it is to admit, the fastest car I'd ever driven. Well, since I had keys to the place a buddy of mine and I made plans to return late one night and test drive one of those GTO's. We chose the '65. Of course it was almost out of gas, and as we eased it off the lot I kept thinking about how much trouble I'd be in if we got caught, or managed to tear up a car we didn't even own. I was very careful with it - for awhile. Leaving a stop sign at an intersection on a residential street in the middle of town, not far from the lot, my curiosity got the better of me and I dropped the hammer. Mercy! In about 1.5 heartbeats the tach needle swept past 5000 rpm and I grabbed second gear --- then third gear. We were rocketing down this residential street, winding out third, parked cars flashing past in a blur, well north of the posted speed limit for the highway (let alone a tiny residential street) with our eyes as big as saucers. Nothing, and I mean nothing, in my previous vehicular experience had prepared me for a car that would accelerate that hard in such a short time and distance. That's when I looked up and saw the rapidly approaching stop sign where that residential street we were rocketing down tee'd into the main highway going through town. We were in big trouble. No way was I going to get that GTO stopped in time. Well, I got on the brakes and locked up all four wheels. We slid through the stop sign, across all four lanes of traffic, and off onto the shoulder on the opposite side of the highway. By some miracle we didn't hit anything or anybody, and the car was still upright. As we sat there, with a huge cloud of dust and debris slowly settling down around us, for awhile all you could hear were two pounding heartbeats and the sound of that idling 389.

That's when I looked over at my buddy, sitting in the passenger seat, his face white as a ghost, and said, "I have got to have one of THESE!!!".

That's how I fell in love with GTO's.

My dad and I never talked about it or whether he knew what we'd been up to that night. In retrospect, considering that he always seemed to know everything I was doing even before I did, he probably did know. However, if either of us had ever admitted that openly then the rules of engagement would have required him to take action so netiher of us ever spoke of it to each other.

My dad, in his wisdom, knew enough to keep my little round butt out of a car like that though. I probably would have killed myself. A few years later, when I was still going through college and married, I found a 69 hardtop. I talked it over with him, and we bought it ih about 1974. It turned out to be the last car that he and I would buy together before he died in Janurary of 1980, and I still have it. It's the one you've seen on here, the one I call "the Beast". It took me more than 20 years to finish the restoration project and get it back on the road. Some day I'll pass it on to my son.

I still miss you, Dad.

My 1969 Pontiac GTO Restoration Project

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I got the disease when I was 15 (1974)...saw a '66 GTO do a massive burn out down the block from where I lived....saw the tail lights eventually....had to have one. I got a '66 vert, 389 4 spd. the next winter ($400) and had to wait until 9/76 to get my license to drive it. It lasted about 6 months ttill the "motor went". I then started the long road to becoming Eric GTO in my neighborhood...................................... ....still at it.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
^Those crazy Canuc's. Pics of your Dad's Pontiac "Impala's"?

I know there were some different Poncho's up north; Acadian's, Parisiens, Conso's. They all add to the Pontiac allure and mystery.

I'd love to see a thread dedicated to Canadian Pontiacs.
The Impala was my uncle's car, my Dad and him would fight over which was a better car. Just got a little mixed up posting this morning. My brain is slower than my typing skills.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In 1976, I was 10 years old, (allready a car nut) my older brother 15. My brothers best friend had an older brother that had a black 66 GTO 3 speed, I believe it was a 389 tripower. My brother and his friend asked Jeff the owner of the GTO if he would do a water burnout on the street in front of his house. Jeff said OK and got in the car and backed out of the driveway while my brother and his friend ran to get the garden hose. I was standing on the sidewalk when Jeff backed the car up looked at me and said "I don't need water to do a burnout", reved it, dumped the clutch, drug the brakes and burned the tires halfway down the block. I stood there in a cloud of tire smoke that I could barely see through and I was hooked. My brother and his friend missed the whole thing while getting the hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in