Best Day Ever!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best Day Ever!!

I guess first of all, hello to everyone here. I am a noobie and just found this forum. I am only in my 30's, but I have always had a great appreciation of classic cars, particularly the GTO thatnks to my father. All he ever talked about when I was growing up was the good old days when cars actually meant something. All through my life my father has had multiple GTO's. Some where beaters, some where parts cars, and some we just plain onld tough to look at. When I was about 7-8 years old he finally got his hands on a gem. He was able to pick up a 1970 GTO that was a complete survior car that he had told me time and time again is all original. As of this year the car only has approximatly 38-40K miles on it. Since I first laid eyes on this car as a kid it is all I ever dreamed a classic car could be. On Thursday of last week I finally heard what I had been waiting to hear since I was a little kid, "Son, I am passing my car down to you." I could have dropped dead! I have been having dreams about it every night since then. I am working out all of the deatils still since I live about 600 miles from him so I don't have it in my possession yet, but it will be less than a month until I do. If anyone knows a good reasonable transport company please let me know.

As one could imagine I am BEYOND excited about this happening and have great plans for the car. I am very much looking forward to joining the community here and bouncing ideas and such off of you all. My goal is to get the car back to the way it was when is ran off the line in Baltimore. I am ordering the PHS documents today as well.

I will be home in two weeks for a wedding so I am going to take a bunch of pictures of the car to post for you guys. I AM SO HAPPY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome! Nice story!! And a nice dad!
Fly over there and drive it back?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, very nice! I would love to do a fly and drive back, but from a reliability standpoint we don't really trust the car. It still has the old F78 rubber tires on it of which one is flat so when you do the math with four new tires and some other odds and ends to get it reliable to drive 600 miles you'll most likely spend the same if not more.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 02:54 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I would drive it back, too, but then I'm mechanical and have a sense of adventure! Fresh fluids, brakes rebuilt, and new tires. Tool kit and cell phone, toothbrush and a change of clothes, and you're off! Great story, and what a great dad. You are a lucky man. My parents had zero interest in cars, as well as the rest of the family. I am the odd man out being a gearhead from birth. Folks that have it in the family usually don't realize how lucky/blessed they are. It appears that you do! Good luck with your new goat.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It's going to need the tires and everything else anyway....so....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I can say one thing, it would definitely be an adventure. I guess the issue is that I don't know what all it would need at the moment so right now I just want to get it in my possession and then go from there.

My dad was a total car buff and I definitely got the gene! I guess he also taught me well and his passion rubbed off on me. I definitely realize how much of a "GIFT" this is if that even covers what it is. Thanks for the well wishes!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

That is true...any tire suggestions by the way? I was looking at the BF Goodrich Radial T/A white letter tires.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM

I definitely know the feeling, my wife and I recently was handed down her dads 1966 GTO, hope you got some deep pockets, they are expensive mistresses lol. But welcome to the forums and this will be the most enjoyable experience for you, and post lots of pics! If your dad is a gear head, if you toss him some cash, do you think he could get it long distance worthy so you could just drive it home? 600 mile hauling would be pricy, may as well put that money into freshening her up.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Excellent story and excellent dad. Congrats!

600 miles is a long drive for a car you're not sure of as far as its mechanical condition. But if you decide to drive it give it a fresh tune-up, get some new tires, battery, change the belts, hoses, fresh fluids and take all the basic tools you can think of.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the well wishes and all of your input. I talked to him yesterday and it turns out that I most likely could drive it back in it's current state. The real issue is that there appears to be an electrical problem that drains the battery very quickly. He has tried to have it diagnosed twice with no sucess. He says he would be worried about it just shutting off and not being able to start it on the trip back. At this point it appears to be most cost effective to just have it shipped. Between the possible repairs needed and the plane ticket it would probably cost more to go get it on my own. Time to start shopping around!!

Last edited by mess1153; 06-19-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in