• 3 Post By Dukes67
  • 1 Post By geeteeohguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Best Disc brake conversion?

While I’ve got an engine out, it seems like a good time to throw on the disc brakes I wish this car would have come with. Does anybody have a suggestion for a good quality (preferably USA made) front disc/booster kit they’ve personally used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:59 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes67 View Post
While I’ve got an engine out, it seems like a good time to throw on the disc brakes I wish this car would have come with. Does anybody have a suggestion for a good quality (preferably USA made) front disc/booster kit they’ve personally used?
You asked a question that would be like asking who makes the best cheese cake. There are many opinions on this one and if you do a search for "disc brakes" in the upper right hand corner "Google Custom Search" you will find many set-ups. Some have positive reviews while a couple have bad reviews. That should be a good start and then go from there.

I used a disc brake kit on my '68 Lemans that came from Speedway Motors. Purchased their front spindles to go with it. The kit was missing the disc brake pad pins, but I sourced those easy enough from the local parts store. I did not like the brake pads and opted for a set of ceramics which I also got locally.

Important key is rim size. Most kits will need a 15" rim, and bigger rotors will require even a larger rim.

Have not gotten to the power booster/master cylinder and proportioning valve as my build is not at that stage yet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Wilwood... this is the last car part you want to replace with Chinesium. And yes, go 15".

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes67 View Post
Search for my thread on my brake upgrade - I went with Corvette / Camaro OEM brakes and am very happy.....They do require 17" + wheels though....But again if you are interested in performance (safety) and made in America, IMHO there is no better option.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I've done it by swapping in stock GM A body spindles, rotors, calipers, master, booster, and proportioning valve. All USA made parts, all fit, won't screw up the steering geometry, and can be done in an afternoon. Any disc brake set-up from '69-'72 will work. Last one I did was $90 all in, but that was years ago.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I've done it by swapping in stock GM A body spindles, rotors, calipers, master, booster, and proportioning valve. All USA made parts, all fit, won't screw up the steering geometry, and can be done in an afternoon. Any disc brake set-up from '69-'72 will work. Last one I did was $90 all in, but that was years ago.
I agree, mine has the disc brake setup from a '69 Grand Prix, fits perfect and stops great. And there are plenty of after market parts for these disc brakes from pads to calipers if that''s your thing.

An example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-140-11291
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks for the input! I’ve read some bad reviews on some of the aftermarket kits. I’ve stumbled on a gentleman near me with a grundle of old Pontiac’s sitting in his yard so I think I’ll start my search there.
geeteeohguy, Bobbyg and 1968gto421 like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:15 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Nothing works and fits better than genuine GM parts made in the USA, in my experience. Have seen more than a couple of high end expensive disc brake kits fail in the caliper mounting areas and other places. The single piston A-body stock GM disc brakes will totally do the job.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On my 70 GTO I went with a package from Right Stuff. Everything you need is in the package. Only modification was the rear axles had to be milled down for the rotors to fit. But you can have the rotors milled prior to shipping for a cost to save you the time. If you are not restoring to original specs for the price and quality this is a great option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in