User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
EdR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Best Place to buy a rebuilt Quadrajet?

I have a Holley 650 on my 400 now that is to small given what I have done to the engine so I'm looking to get a rebuilt Quadrajet that is set up for my engine and drive train. Rather not go to the big national chains. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the reason no one has responded to your question very quickly is because they know you may not want to hear the answer.

Most of the regular guys on this forum will tell you that the best way to get a correctly built Q-jet is to send an old one to Cliff Ruggles of Cliff’s High Performance. He is the go-to Q-Jet guru. Only thing is, he has at least a one year waiting list for re-builds.

If you want to go this route, find a 1976 to 1978 vintage Q-Jet off of a large cubic inch GM motor. Note that Pontiac Q-Jets have the fuel inlet on the front of the carb as opposed to a side inlet on other GM applications. For my 68 400 project, I found a 77 vintage Q-Jet used on a corvette (no hate mail please). I had to modify the fuel line with flex hose for the fuel line. I had Cliff hand pick a rebuild kit to match my engine/drivetrain setup and did it myself after reading his book. Here is a link to his web site:

Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning

You could do the re-build yourself but you must read Cliff’s book “How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors” and follow the procedure to the letter.

Good luck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 04:09 PM

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
EdR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Resto-mod View Post
I think the reason no one has responded to your question very quickly is because they know you may not want to hear the answer.

Most of the regular guys on this forum will tell you that the best way to get a correctly built Q-jet is to send an old one to Cliff Ruggles of Cliff’s High Performance. He is the go-to Q-Jet guru. Only thing is, he has at least a one year waiting list for re-builds.

If you want to go this route, find a 1976 to 1978 vintage Q-Jet off of a large cubic inch GM motor. Note that Pontiac Q-Jets have the fuel inlet on the front of the carb as opposed to a side inlet on other GM applications. For my 68 400 project, I found a 77 vintage Q-Jet used on a corvette (no hate mail please). I had to modify the fuel line with flex hose for the fuel line. I had Cliff hand pick a rebuild kit to match my engine/drivetrain setup and did it myself after reading his book. Here is a link to his web site:

Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning

You could do the re-build yourself but you must read Cliff’s book “How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors” and follow the procedure to the letter.

Good luck
Thank you for the response. I had found Cliffs website before I posted here. I'm not patient enough to wait a year, and although I'm tempted to try a rebuild myself I don't want to add another variable to the mix. I'd always be second guessing if any issue I had was related to my rebuild. I'd rather just get a rebuilt carb from a reputable source that I can have a high degree of confidence in. I wish cliff was selling rebuilts. But thanks anyway.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
EdR

Please do.. thank you. Are they customizing the carb to match your engine and drive train set up?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 PM

They make you select your model, year and engine before they get to your carb. The # on The Quad they said they were sending was a 702XXXX# which i believe what should be on a 68 gto 400. Of course its rebuilt with modern parts. But like you, place i called to rebuild the existing were taking to long. I use to get carbs from Pep Boys back in the day and they were fine. I'm sure this will be just fine
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Garage
Rebuilt Q jets are hit or miss, like rebuilding them, could be great or junk. Holley's and edelbrocks are just easier. Throw one on for the mean time, and have a q jet built. You will probably stick with the Holley in the end, I hate edelbrocks.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstang View Post
I hate edelbrocks.
Why? Is it just a familiarity thing?

I've found Edelbrocks to be much easier to tune for a street car. Only owned one DP though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Edelbrock's are easy to tune. I had one on my 84 Camaro and it was great on the 305. I also have one on my LeMans and find that it seems to run out of gas if I lay on the throttle for too long. For most everyday driving it is fine.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Most Q-Jet problems are caused by the last guy who touched it. Very often they were "trick of the month club" subscribers who think they have some super secret insider information about how to do one and they know more than the company who engineered and built the carb. They're always wrong - on both counts.

Cliff's book is very good. If you can find an original unmolested QJet (hint - scour your favorite salvage yard for one from a full size "land yacht" car, not a performance car, as these are less likely to have been messed with), then sit down, read Cliff's book cover to cover before you ever get the tools out, study the parts you don't understand until you DO understand, then go through the carb yourself. I bet you'll be fine.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in