Buckets to Bench? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buckets to Bench?

I'm looking for an A body convertible that can seat six, which requires a bench front seat. While there are some cars available with this, it pales in comparison to those with buckets, since many cars born with a bench have been converted to buckets over the years. While I can find some base cars with a bench - Tempest/Cutlass/etc - I'd really prefer the muscle version, such as the GTO/442/etc.

I know it seems like sacrilege, since the opposite is so commonly done, but what would it take to convert a 65-67 GTO convertible to a front bench? I realize that a console automatic would be thousands to change the shifter/steering column, etc - so I'm mainly considering manuals for this.

I realize that a bench seat/foam/covering would be involved. I assume different brackets for the seat.

If the car has a console, and it's removed, does it usually require new carpet? I assume there must be a boot/trim piece that would be needed for the shift lever?

Any idea what this would cost? There are a bunch of restored GTO convertibles at Mecum in a couple weeks, but they are all buckets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM

I have been following this forum for 2+ years and decided to join after reading your post. I have a restored bench seat, column shift, auto, 67, convertible I bought about three years ago. It has the original parchment interior in good shape. I have always wondered if a bench seat GTO has the same seat as a Lemans. Mine has a fold down arm rest, and I agree this is much more practical. Don't know if there are many like this out there.

Bob
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM

My 71 Lemans doesn't have a fold down center that I noticed anyways.

Last edited by 68greengoat; 05-09-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Soliciting...........

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'd hate to be the guy in the front middle when you slam 2nd gear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in