User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
calipers

I finally got my new 4 piston rotors, put new bearings in and started to install my rebulit calipers. When putting the bolts in finger tight I noticed the the bottom of the rotor rubbing on the new rotor.
(the rotor sits almost a 1/4 farther from the back plate, but I could shim that.)
I'd have to do so major grinding to the calipers.............(not me)
While snugging the bolts down the rotor wouldnt turn at all.
Looking at the old caliper i see the cut away.........
what do I do now?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2933.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	10746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2934.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	739.8 KB
ID:	10747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2936.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	10748  

Last edited by Topkat; 04-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

The "after market" 4 piston rotors that OPGI sold me are one piece,they do not have the "tapered centers" that allow the caliper to clear the rotors, as the factory ones do.
Starting to see "after market" as a bad word............
When I pulled the "AM" rotors off, now both inner bearings and the seals are tightly wedged on the spindles.
What causes this?
Was it just the "wrong rotors"?
The old ones fit 1/4' farther back on the spindles and dont hang up.
Just to be safe I ordered new inner bearings.
thanks as always
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"noticed the the bottom of the rotor (assume you meant caliper) rubbing on the new rotor." the caliper mounting is in a fixed position, relative to the backing plate and the center of the spindle, so no amount of rotor adjusting will make up for the lack of taper on the new rotor which hits the caliper. the bearing wedged on the spindle is another problem, in regard to the new bearing either being located on a different position on the spindle, the race seated in a different position inside new rotor or the wrong inner bearing id. it might be fixed with a another bearing, or move the race to a position so the bearing does not wedge on the spindle. this is all trial and error, and not likely to work properly unless you fix the rubbing of the rotor on the caliper. machine shop could properly turn rotor to get clearance, but that would void any warranty on that rotor if there was one. IMO, your old rotors if not warped, don't look too thin to me. don't turn them, if grooved, so what, some people pay big money for grooved rotors, your new pads will quickly match those grooves, and pads are cheaper than any of the other parts or machine work. pads don't have rivets these days, so no more grooves anyway. you will actually have more contact surface.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Topkat,
Well it does seem that either the rotor or caliper is wrong. I have a 67 with original disc brakes, and I replaced the original 2 piece rotors with 1 piece rotors 11 years ago from AMES performance. They were a perfect direct replacement. And they were sooooo much nicer (smooooth braking) compared to the 2 piece jobs. They now happen to be 2 feet from me (my car is in a million pieces right now) so I can measure the rotor and you can compare to the new units you have.

The hub diameter (with the studs) does NOT have a taper and the diameter is just a shave under 6 inches.
I also measured the distance between the back surface of the rotor to the flange the inside bearing goes into, and that flange is about a quarter inch below flush. It's an 11 inch rotor by the way.

If your rotor is the same, I would also check that you have the correct calipers. Some calipers of that vintage had bigger pistons I think, and were for corvettes and/or big cars. You may have gotten a "big bore" caliper. I don't know how big the A body caliper bores were, but I can tell you the calipers I have (that do fit) say Delco Moraine with #5455946

If you want any other dimensions, lemme know
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM

sounds like you nailed the problem with the bearing.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Topkat,

Check the bracket part numbers, I believe those calipers require a 3913797-L and a 3913798-R mounting braket,

Here is a picture, Good luck

Randy

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 AM

that bracket looks a little custom.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in