User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
camber

My Goats finally in the shop getting tires and a good front end alignment.(I hope)
OK, i get the idea when it comes to adjusting caster, that's the shims on the upper control arm.......but is caster adjustable on my 67?
There's just a big bolt holding the upper control arm.....
thank as always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Yep, it's done with those same shims. Add or remove shims to both bolts on the control arm shaft to pull the top of it in or push it out to set camber, add or remove shims to just one side (or simultaneously add to one bolt and remove from the other) to "tilt" the upper ball joint towards the front or towards the rear to set caster.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
"Caster, Camber, Toe, in that order. Like Mister GFR said, all adjustable. As a note, I like to go with more caster than specified, with radial tires on these cars. Better stability, and better wheel return. Picture forks on a bicycle: a chopper has a ton of positive camber, and a bike with its handlebars flipped backwards is a ton of negative camber....It's all about where the upper ball joint is in relation to the lower ball joint: behind, even with, or in front of.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And if yours is currently off any significant amount, it will make a huge difference with driveability. Buddy of mine works on an alignment rack and recently did my 66. Caster was way off, and toe was out (which causes some "twitching" when driving straight). 100% better afterwards...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Not to mention bad tire wear! TOPKAT, We all know why your REAR tires don't last!! Eric

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
What was I thinking...Crap, I meant CASTER!! Oh well......If you want to see what a ton of caster on a car looks like, pay attention to the Mercedes commercials that show the car moving/turning. You can actually see the tilt of the spindle axis....they run about 10 degrees caster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in