User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Car bra/mask for 67 gto any available ?

hi, i been looking but cant find any car bra or mask for a 67 gto, does anyone know if they are available, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
why would you want to cover up one of the most iconic front ends in automotive history. Its all grill and headlights, it would look like a car thong.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
A BRA on a '67 GTO??? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Thanks, Fiesta. You made my day!!! Crikey!!

Seriously, besides looking totally '80's and totally wrong, bras tend to chafe the paint and do much more damage than good. Take the Ute when you go out into the brush, IMO. Bra's have aged about as well as Madonna's music. They belong on 280ZX's in junkyards.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
A BRA on a '67 GTO??? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Thanks, Fiesta. You made my day!!! Crikey!!

Seriously, besides looking totally '80's and totally wrong, bras tend to chafe the paint and do much more damage than good. Take the Ute when you go out into the brush, IMO. Bra's have aged about as well as Madonna's music. They belong on 280ZX's in junkyards.
you guys are missing the point here, i will explain, i have car now in show condition, been in 3 australian shows won all, car also won 5 usa shows before i got it, i got 5 trophies here in oz from just 3 shows, won best of show last week 35,000 people attended, also been on front cover of australian pontiac car mag and centerfold, another mag called GASOLINE wants to do a story, all those issues i asked about before , i now have 3.5 degrees positive caster remember some said thats only possible with tubular arms, well i got it now with stock arms and removed a lot of those shims too and car now steers correctly and wheel self centres !...got the konis and they are perfect , fixed the lean that everyone said dont worry thats normal, bollocks cars shouldnt lean they didnt leave dealers leaning to one side, some said my 200 degrees temp is ok i dont believe 200 is ok in mild weather as expained what about those hot days then what 220 who knows, well its now 180 didnt need fancy fans or radiators just some tweeks here and there, most things if not all fixed by a really helpfull guy i met on this forum who happens to live just a few miles from me, bottom line car is now perfect inside and out, just how i want it.......but its still a driver i am not going to let it become a trailer queen , but i do want to look after it of course, when around town local driving i dont want any car bra on the car that would suck duhh ! .... but when going on long interstate trips yes i want the bra, for example we have the pontiac nationals coming up its a once only event every 2 years, its a 1000 mile round trip, so i want a car bra for things like this, when at the event and around town i would remove, its just for the long trips away....if car is clean and waxed as mine would be i dont think a bra would cause any damage if only on for 1 day getting from A to B...hope this explains it, many times i post on here asking for advice but most times all i get is members questioning why i want to do this or having a go at me telling me thats wrong or odd etc.... anyway i will find a bra for the car someone somewhere will make one....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
64-67 Expert

I've worked on hundreds of cars in the '80's and early '90's that had bras on them. Every one of them had medium to severe paint damage under the bra from chafing going down the road. The customers HAD to keep the bra's on, or repaint the hoods, valences, and fenders. I'll stand my ground on this one: a bra on a '67 GTO is as tasteful as a velvet Elvis painting and as classy as a singing fish, but, there are people who LIKE velvet Elvis paintings and singing fish....so....good luck in your quest!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I was at a shop yesterday, with my body/paint friend....he just bought a Camaro ZL-1....he is having a "clear wrap " applied to the front "bumper" and areas on the quarter panels sucsepptable to wear from gravel, etc...the stuff is amazing, once applied, it is invisible (like clearcoat).....if it gets damaged, it is 'self healing'....and it is removable withhout paint damage......

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd agree with the clear wrap/bra. I know a few that have it on there 2012 Lexus and you can't see it and doesn't move around like the 80/90's bras
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 PM
64-67 Expert

I was unaware of the new stuff. Makes sense. I was referring to the black fabric bras from days gone by with the velcro and metal tab fasteners.....they were really rough on a car's paint. The clear coating sounds like the best solution, if you must have a bra on the car!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to busaben
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post

don't be knocking on the 280zx, i still drive mine (without a hood bra)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me just throw one more NO on the pile when it comes to bras. It will without a doubt TRASH your paint.

I have a black 2001 olds intrigue I purchased new and had the clear 3M stuff applied to the front of hood and a few areas along door edges that were prone to road chips and sand blasting (experienced from my 1998 Intrigue). This was done the day I drove it off the dealer lot. It has held up well, but after 185K miles of heavy traffic driving, including following behind many salt trucks in the winter, the "clear" coating is more of a scratched up haze, looking like the protective sheet on your touch-screen smart phone if you did not change it after 5 years.

On a car like yours, the clear sheet may save a rock chip or two, but has its downsides on a show car. It is a pain to clean the wax residue around the edges, and eventually, the stuff does tend to start lifting around the corners. Keep in mind that my experience is on a daily driver going through automatic car washes, etc. Also, everything shows up when applied to a black finish, other car colors may not show the imperfections as much coming from the clear sheet.

Overall, I think the stuff is good, but I did not bother with it on my 2007 Grand Prix when new...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in