Car Covers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ThomasGTO Send a message via MSN to ThomasGTO Send a message via Yahoo to ThomasGTO
Car Covers

Hey guys,

Any suggestions on some decent weather proof car covers? I have searched but havent found much. I have a budget of around $200. I have seen the car cover line but I dont know if there is something I am missing that might be better.. Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Car covers are meant to keep dust off of cars that are stored inside. No such thing as an outdoor cover. They trap moisture, cause rust, wear paint through in the wind, and cause more damage than they prevent. I learned all of this the hard way. No fun. The only acceptable outdoor car cover is a carport, an awning, or a shed if you can't keep it in a garage. If you can't keep it inside, realize that it WILL deteriorate. Objects left out in the weather "go away".
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
not quite in the budget you specified, but meant for outdoor use...

http://www.carcapsule.com/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Noah car cover for my 05'. The car is stored inside however I used it once outside in rain and it worked pretty good.

I got one for my '70 and its NOT fitted. It's pathetic actually, I used it at a car show this past summer and it rained, the car was soaked. I new it wasn't great it only cost 40 bucks, I got it for inside use.

If you get one for outdoors get one that's breathable and FITTED, with grommets you can tie it down with.

No matter which one you purchase be prepared to remove it and chamois the car off dry the cover and recover.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM
64-67 Expert

I used an "outside" cover on a '66 Coronet I had.....when I removed it after 2-3 months of winter (in California) , I had surface rust from condensation, and the tops of the fenders on all 4 corners were polished down to bare metal. It used to have nice, original red paint......
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ThomasGTO Send a message via MSN to ThomasGTO Send a message via Yahoo to ThomasGTO
damn that sucks. i guess the whole shop idea will have to move up on the priority list.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM

I see we're in the same 'hood, my approach wouldn't work where it freezes. I have a Noah that I use on my '67 El Camino that parks outside. It probably is little above you budget but you should bite the bullet and get a good cover. (Welcome to Californiacarcover.com) The thing with (good) car covers is they are water resistant, not water proof. If my car is parked it has the cover on it, what is key is to have a clean surface before the cover goes on either dusting with a duster or a Quick Detailer session if not a wash job. When rain is in the forecast I tie down (you know the winds we get) a plastic tarp over it. I have done this for 12 years with this car with good results and here's why. A plastic tarp will trap moisture and reek havoc on paint, chrome, stainless and interior; I place cardboard boxes between the tarp and car cover for breathing space. When the rain is over I remove the plastic tarp. I also keep a boat dehumidier (West Marine: Home Page) in the interior. Also, I keep all surfaces waxed big time. It can be done if you stay on top of it, if not it will deteriorate before your eyes.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
64-67 Expert

Three Dueces, closer than you think! The Coronet incident happened when I was living out by Point Richmond, in the mid '90's....right across the bay from you! Sounds like you've figured out a way to shelter your ride without a building, though!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Heck, we used to be neighbors, I was in San Pablo. Yeah, the step-child Elky got trumped by my Goat and Vette for the garage. BTW, I find car covers used like this to last about 4 years or so.

Mike
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i know it'd be ugly as sin and whatnot, but do you have a saturday to build a small car port/leanto? few 2x4's and some plywood might be cheaper and a better solution. Use a weighted tarp as your "door". Probably get all the materials including some concrete to cement your posts for under $200 and put it together on a saturday. More labor than a car cover, but more protection too.

my uncle just did the same for his sprinter van since it's too tall for his garage. Pine trees and clear coat seem mutually exclusive from the look of the paint on his old truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in