post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carb gasket

Finally got my "new" carb today.
A remanufactured (I guess) Rochester-Q
It came with the bottom gasket and the one on the left that seems to be made of some sort of bake-lite type material.
Can I use it or should I stick to the metal one?
thanks as always
Tk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3968.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	12445  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM

What is it going on? The one on the right, is for the intakes that have a transfer groove cut in them (alot of early Chevy's had that). The one on the left is probably the one you need on a Pontiac. If you take a picture of the intake and post it here I could say for sure.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
The one on the right is a '67 only GTO base gasket, needed with the stock intake on '67 only. You need the metal block off plate that seals the heat passage from the carb, and it goes between the carb and the gasket. I got mine from NAPA, and they actually had it in stock. Looks like a metal carb gasket, but does not have the "groove" The black plate/gasket is for later models and not your car.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
gasket gets matched to the intake and the carb base. thin metal one also requires another gasket for sealing purposes, not just the metal one. best to look at the carb base to ensure the proper one is used. they are not universal.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
gasket gets matched to the intake and the carb base. thin metal one also requires another gasket for sealing purposes, not just the metal one. best to look at the carb base to ensure the proper one is used. they are not universal.
Are you saying there needs to be 3 gaskets total?
Never seen that....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Garage
Contact the rebuilder, tell him what intake you have and see what he says. I've rebuilt a few Qjets in my day, and never dealt with base plate gaskets.. Odd..
Damn Topkat, even your easy questions are hard.. Easy-get a Qjet, now...

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
64-67 Expert

pontiac is correct. With the '67 intake (and carb, which is a one-year only deal) you install a gasket at the intake, install the plate, add a gasket between the plate and the carb. That's how mine is, and it's all original. The gaskets are pretty thin. If you have a '67 intake and a later model q-jet, I think the steel blockage plate is still needed to keep hot exhaust gasses from cooking the carb.....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM

I was searching for the carb gasket sequence and came across this post. Is the one on the right the plate which is simply sandwiched between the two gaskets?
1 intake, 2 gasket, 3 metal plate, 4 gasket, 5 carb. I'm cofused, ames said I only need the two.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
pontiac is correct. With the '67 intake (and carb, which is a one-year only deal) you install a gasket at the intake, install the plate, add a gasket between the plate and the carb. That's how mine is, and it's all original. The gaskets are pretty thin. If you have a '67 intake and a later model q-jet, I think the steel blockage plate is still needed to keep hot exhaust gasses from cooking the carb.....
This is true plus the gasket with the slot needs to be installed correctly, or you'll have a vacuum leak. For the passage itself (on the intake manifold) you can plug the passage ports with 11/32" (I think) plugs. Measure to make sure, but it definitely keeps the heat down under the carb.

Chuck

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
64-67 Expert

Chuck is correct. The steel plate that goes between the gaskets has no slot....it closes it off to keep the carb from baking. The manual calls for one plate and one gasket, I like to use a gasket on both sides of the plate, for better sealing and better heat insulation. So, two carb gaskets, with one plate in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in