carb/intake selection - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carb/intake selection

I've got a stock 350 in my LeMans and looking to upgrade the intake and carb. I've pretty much decided on the Edelbrock performer series 2156 low rise. I have been looking at Holley 650 cfm carbs, does anyone have a suggestion as to which one I should go with?? Looking primarily at 0-80783c (4150) and the 0-80555c (4175)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM

I just picked up edelbrock performer rpm duel plane intake. I went with their carb thunder avs 800cfm. Can't give you a review since it's not on yet. Ran into problems installing headers. Got next two days off and no rain in forecast if I get it on ill let you know.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
What's on it now?

Hint: On a stock, or near stock engine there is nothing that will out-perform a factory cast iron 4bbl intake with a properly set up Quadrajet, or a tri-power. Period.

All the aftermarket "pretties and shineys" are just that. Pretty and shiny. But they're also slower.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
I second that with Bear. The factory quadrajet cast iron manifold has been proven time and time again to be one of the best picks, especially with a stock or mildly modified engine. Invest in a good replacement Q-jet carb. Small primaries bores are great for gas mileage. Kick those big secondaries in for power - and a sound you won't get with the Holley you are thinking about. The Q-jet is rated at 750 CFM or the later 800 CFM. I installed one on my 1976 Lemans which was a factory 2 barrel 350 CI. More power, awesome sound when the secondaries opened up, and could get 21 MPG cruising at 70 MPH with stiff (as I recall) 2.73 or such. Use a good after market open element air cleaner - the bigger the better.

Just my opinion on this one.
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

It is a Rochester 2G with divorced choke, and the stock 2 barrel manifold. Most things I have read say that the Q-jet is a tricky/temperamental bitch.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Also the smallest Q-jet I have seen is a 750 cfm which by any of the calculators is more carb than needed based on cubic inches and rpm without any other mods.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
The Qjet will work fine on your 350. They even used them on the OHC six. Many Chevy 350's, Olds 350's and Pontiac 350's and 326's came with the Qjet. When they are right they work amazing. Great throttle response and fuel economy. Usually it is the accelerator pump and/or throttle shaft bushings that give them the notorious bog. Also stay away from the later "electronic" Qjets, they are the only ones that have wires going to them so they are easy to identify. I much prefer a Qjet to the Carter AFB or Thermo-quad.

Find yourself a good core and contact Cliff Rugles to get it redone( if it needs it).

Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I will admit that in order to make a QJet run well you do have to know what you're doing and think a little bit. My 69 GTO is an honest 11-second street car (best so far, 11.86 @ 113 mph) that I also drove on the full Hot Rod Power Tour this past summer - all 2300 miles of it (there and back). It has an 800 cfm QJet.

Don't believe everything you read out there on the Inter-tubes. Even here.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
As Bear stated, 750 CFM is not too big. Same as I had on my stock 350 I mentioned earlier. You can get a good rebuildable core cheap at most car swap meets if you go to these. Ebay has quite a few and one up there now is a rebuilt NAPA Q-jet for $111.00. There are many more cheaper that need rebuilding. You want to make sure you get the Rochester Q-jet and not the Carter. You also need to make sure that you get a Pontiac Q-jet so your carb/gas pedal cable will work with it.

Saw a video that was 16 minutes long on the web on rebuilding the Q-jet. Might give you and idea of what you are getting into OR as Bear suggested, either contact Cliff Rugles for a rebuilt unit, price on having your core rebuilt, or parts to rebuild yours. Shop around a bit. It is really not all that difficult a thing to rebuild. There are also several how-to books on the market on how to rebuild the Q-jet. You will find most members here advise any Pontiac Performance enthusiast to get a copy of Jim Hand's book How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V-8's. You can get it on Amazon.com and it has a section on Q-jet rebuilding and modifications.

You should be able to get a cast iron Q-jet intake cheap at a swap meet, craigslist, local trade paper, etc.. If it were me, I would not pay more than $25 for a Q-jet rebuilder core and then go through it -but I know what to look for and how to rebuild them so that's to my advantage. Last swap meet I was at had a ton of them in the $15 -$25 range. You can always get a cheap one, tear it down to see what your getting into and then decide what you want to do. Its all about fun and learning.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 PM

These guys are steering you in the right direction. I swapped out my 2 bbl Rochester for a cast iron 4bbl intake and a Qjet. I bought Cliff's (of Cliff's High Performance) Qjet rebuild book, then I bought a rebuild kit, jets, rods, hardware from him. I told him what I had and he was able to sell me exactly what I needed. This was my 1st rebuild so it took me some time and I made many mistakes. But after all my screw-ups, I can easily take one apart and put it back together with confidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in