carb issues on '67 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
carb issues on '67

the '67 floods easily...fumes are unbelievable in garage even after a short drive....original quadrajet still here...one rebuild (was told that carb was a mess)....what would be the absolute best carb to buy & replace quadrajet with? Intake replacement as well? engine is a 4600 mile total tear down & rebuild and is very strong....

thanks...

'67 in Franklin, Tn...

P.S. - looking for a good speedshop in middle Tennessee....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
The absolute best carb and intake for your car is what is already in place. I recommend having an expert (Cliff Ruggles) rebuild the carb and go that route. Do the research, check out this topic (It's come up 100 times) and check out the other forums, too, like performance years. I've been running the original carb and intake on my '67 for almost the entire 30 years I've owned the car, and it works great. My carb too "was a mess" when I got the car.....that can be reversed. As a side note, '67 was a one year carb/manifold combo, and a '67 carb is worth big $$$$$$.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM

Or, if you've got the skills and tools, buy Cliff's book and follow his procedures. He also sells all the parts you'll need, if you choose to do it yourself.

Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning

1968 Pontiac GTO
1983 Pontiac Bonneville (G) wagon
2008 Pontiac G8 base
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
The single biggest problem with any Quadrajet is almost always the last guy who worked on it and thought he was an expert.

If you're smelling gas really badly, the most likely problems are going to be one or more of: leaking jet well plugs, incorrect float level, excessive fuel pressure (should be no more than 7 psi at the inlet), some other leak in the fuel system. A correctly set up QJet will flat out spank any other carb in both performance and fuel mileage on an engine that "needs" 750 CFM of air or less.

As far as intake manifolds, there are a few of them that will perform "almost as good" as the factory dual plane on a street engine, but not many. You can save some weight with an aluminum manifold, but you're also going to sacrifice some torque and power below 5000 rpm.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Yep, even as a rookie carb guy, I purchased Cliffs book and also used some helpful recommendations from LARS. By the way, I would like to send some business over to LARS, but the distance thing is just not working out...

Anyhow, I have built 3 different qjets following Cliffs book and parts, including a 72 Pontiac, 74/75 Olds, and a 79 Firebird from a 301. My favorite was the 79, which has a larger bore flowing at 800 cfm compared to most at about 780. Funny to have that carb on a 301, but the factory limited its flow abilities by not opening the flaps all the way, larger rods, etc. These newer carbs also have the APT adjustment that can be easily be drilled for external access. I just finished the 79 carb last week, and it was dang near perfect from the moment I bolted it on the car!! It is a little rich for my stock 400, but thinking it may be real close for my upcoming 455 this winter.

Regarding your older carb, it will work just fine with the correct rebuild. However, if you were not concerned with originality or needed a new core for building, look for a newer model such as the 75-79. Again, great info on the differences, etc. in Cliffs book. Just stay away from the 1980 or 81? units with the computer control modules. You can also use chevy versions. Only difference really is the fuel inlet position.

Good luck and go Qjet!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM

I would stick with a q jet as well, often a good disassembly, cleaning, new gaskets alleviate carb issues...if you dont want to take the job on, send it out
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Bought my 68 off eBay 2 years ago and it had an old Carter on it. Worked OK but I wanted a Qjet like my original 68 had. Got one from eBay but it would not idle. Took it to National Carburetor here in Jacksonville, FL and they rebuilt it $150.00 and it works like a top. Instant 50 more horses and better gas mileage. Just put in a 2.56 rear end to be able to afford the drive up to Dayton next summer for the CoVention and get about 16 mpg. I don't plan on racing the car any more but love to drive it weekly. Again recommend a good rebuild and you can be happy with the Qjet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in