Cart before the horse.... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cart before the horse....

I bought the car over month ago with no way to get it home (it had been mostly dissembled). I ended up buying an enclosed trailer off the same guy just so I could get it home. The car is still in the trailer sitting in the yard.

I got a 400 from another guy in need of being rebuilt. I have no way to lift it off the back of my truck.

I spent this past weekend installing a 100 amp service to my garage. From there I hung 5 8' flourscient lights, 3 recepticles, a couple of light switches, and left room for a 20 amp and 30 amp 240 VAC circuits (thinking a welder and air compressor in my future). Everything is encased in 1/2" conduit and I went a bit crazy with the hangers ect (I'm an electrician by trade, but I do controls, not construction).

I pulled the meter base cover and made sure I had enough room to snake the wires through to the panel in the house (I didn't want to punch a hole through the block wall). Now all that is left is running the big wires.

I did power up the panel using the extension cord to make sure I installed everything right and nothing went 'pop' when power was put to it.

So now I am ready to move my car into the garage and assess what needs to be completed next (besides buying a lift to get the engine out of my truck).

Last edited by HaloPlayer; 08-04-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Hooked on Phonics didn't work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:05 AM

Dewar's for the masses!

How did you get the engine INTO the back of the truck. Did the PO put it there for you, and if so, maybe he'll let you borrow the hoist (for a fee, perhaps?) I borrowed a hoist from a friend. He didn't want any $$, so I gave him a couple-o-bottles-o-Dewar's! Sometimes, you have to get a little creative! (Should fit right in the back with the engine there already).
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

LOL @ hoist. He used a tractor and he lives 40 miles away.

I'll figure something out.

I'd like to install an I-Beam in my garage and hang a rolling chainfall from it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
For years I used 2 4x4s spanning many rafters with a chain wrapped around with a come-along hooked to the chain. Ratchet the motor up and push the car out from under it. Man, I was really happy when I bought that cherry picker!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM

wood
rope
and man power

ive been there....sucks LOL
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
You can rent or "borrow" a hoist at some NAPA stores or Harbor Freight has some pretty good deals on them, just don't but a light duty one, make sure it has plenty of beef and swivel casters.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
We have a community cherry picker that makes its rounds, whoever needs it comes and grabs it and it stays at that garage until someone else needs it. Came in handy this weekend moving to the new shop 40 feet away on crushed gravel drive.

As for the cart before the horse let me give you a time line, mine was on a truck from Idaho to Michigan before i even told the wife i bought it...LOL. Went from basic set of wrenches/sockets to two 3' rolling carts. Decided to do bodywork/paint myself...new compressor spray guns and another 3' rolling cart full of body shop tools. So now the car won't fit in the 2.5 car garage with all the tools in it...build a 1500 sq.ft pole barn with 1/2 loft so the wife can have her parking spot back in the garage. Rescue a 89' fox body mustang from the crusher, accumulate Mustang parts...to go along with the 4'x8'x8' high shelf holding all the pontiac "extras" including a spare 455 and virgin 400 and the original 326, a chevy 12 bolt rearend and dual quads from the Tempest build. And this is all over a 3 year span.

I just moved into the new shop this weekend. Wife found a sign in the garage that the girls brought home from camp that said "NO VEHICLES" which i quickly customized by adding "more than 7" between the two words and hung on the wall, (which is the amount that the shop will hold when i get a two post lift to jack one to the ceiling). She's a good sport though she spent Sunday helping me tear down and inspect the Mustang motor. These things are addicting, be careful !!!

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to ask for help we have all been there. Lots of ways to make do with what you have or can borrow.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 03:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I used to rent breakdown cherry picker engine hoists from a local equipment rental company. It sure was $12 well spent!! The whole thing comes apart for easy transport.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Picked up an engine stand today off of Craigslist and ordered a 2-ton engine hoist off the internet. It will be here tomorrow afternoon. I'll offload the engine from the back of my truck where is has been strapped in since I bought it.

My 100amp wiring arrived today while I was at work so it looks like everything is coming together to have the car unloaded and into the newly electrified garage. It's finally all coming together.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

My supervisor when unloading the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	25546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in