cd player location - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
cd player location

Where do you tuck yours away to keep the vintage look?

under the dash? glovebox, under the seat? trunk?

I'm curious about audio options since the one dash speaker just isn't going to cut it but i dont want to start cutting into things. Don't mind building speaker mounts to go under the dash but if anyone has anything particularly creative, i'd love to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmac26 View Post
Where do you tuck yours away to keep the vintage look?

under the dash? glovebox, under the seat? trunk?

I'm curious about audio options since the one dash speaker just isn't going to cut it but i dont want to start cutting into things. Don't mind building speaker mounts to go under the dash but if anyone has anything particularly creative, i'd love to hear about it.
When I had my 70, I had my CD player mounted vertically in the center console. As far as the center dash speaker, I bought a replacement from Ames. It's a special set up with 2 3 1/2 in speakers for stereo that mount in the stock location. I used 6 x9 coaxials on the rear deck.

mac

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The speakers in my 70 sound great. Although I have the original AM PB radio (not installed) the owner installed a nice AM/FM cassette. When I crank the volume up, and it takes some volume to overcome the 3" Pypes rhapsody coming from the exhaust, those speakers sound fantastic, no static, no vibrations. the nostalgia sound of Foreigner, Kansas, Boston etc sound great at higher volumes.

He also left a hook up for me to hook up an Ipod. I'm old, don't have that set up but I got a library of cassettes from the day that sound as good now as they did 30 yrs ago.

If I were to add a CD I would put it either under the seat in the trunk or in the glove box if it would fit.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
The speakers in my 70 sound great. Although I have the original AM PB radio (not installed) the owner installed a nice AM/FM cassette. When I crank the volume up, and it takes some volume to overcome the 3" Pypes rhapsody coming from the exhaust, those speakers sound fantastic, no static, no vibrations. the nostalgia sound of Foreigner, Kansas, Boston etc sound great at higher volumes.

He also left a hook up for me to hook up an Ipod. I'm old, don't have that set up but I got a library of cassettes from the day that sound as good now as they did 30 yrs ago.

If I were to add a CD I would put it either under the seat in the trunk or in the glove box if it would fit.
I must me old too. Sounds like we have the same taste in music. Ipod? What's that?! I did, however, replace my cassettes with CD's. I plan on putting an Alpine deck in the glove compartment. Always wanted an Alpine. Couldn't afford one when I was a "kid". Now these kids are buying '04 - '06 GTO's.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM

ive been curious about this to for a while.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:32 PM

there is a guy on ebay selling customer made glove box radio holders. you remove the stock cardboard and install the aluminum one he makes for you. cannot be that hard to make your own if you are inclined. our car was a 1/4 mile car and with the exhaust noise would need a big speaker box and amp to overcome it. the manual brakes, steering, power shifting, looking for 5 o's , nonlocking seatbacks, worn out front shocks and shi$$ty michigan roads leave no time for trying to adjust a radio
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM

When my brother had the car, he mounted a cassete player in the glove box. After I got it, I replaced the cassette player with a cd/mp3 player. The only drawback is having to have the glove box open to make adjustments / changes, which annoys the passenger ... so I prefer to leave my sweetheart at home if possible.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnconsulting View Post
there is a guy on ebay selling customer made glove box radio holders. you remove the stock cardboard and install the aluminum one he makes for you. cannot be that hard to make your own if you are inclined. our car was a 1/4 mile car and with the exhaust noise would need a big speaker box and amp to overcome it. the manual brakes, steering, power shifting, looking for 5 o's , nonlocking seatbacks, worn out front shocks and shi$ michigan roads leave no time for trying to adjust a radio
You wouldn't happen to have a direct link to that e-bay auction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
When my brother had the car, he mounted a cassete player in the glove box. After I got it, I replaced the cassette player with a cd/mp3 player. The only drawback is having to have the glove box open to make adjustments / changes, which annoys the passenger ... so I prefer to leave my sweetheart at home if possible.
Seems like most if not all new decks come with remotes. I know one style is supposed to be able control your deck without opening the glove compartment etc. I believe it's the RF remote(radio frequency)? If not, it's the other one which I can't think of at the moment. I lost touch with aftermarket car stereo's about 25 years ago.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
To be honest, I've been thinking about a "carputer". They're relatively inexpensive and, when combined with a touch screen, will allow just about anything your home pc will offer. My thoughts are a homebuilt, removable center console with the touch screen forward (maybe fold away) leaving room for an arm rest (carputer sets underneath this) and a couple 6x9's mounted to the sides giving good sound to the front seat. Back seat, maybe throw a over-under 3.5" configuration into the box. match the carpet to the car and upholster the top in parchment white vinyl. I'll forgo the sub in favor of a bass heavy exhaust note

Only problem is the power draw. I figure modern electronics powering something like this is fairly similar to the original radio but i really can't speak on that with any certainty. anyone have some thoughts on the subject? Anyone know the amperage of the original AM radio and speaker? I'm counting on the "do more with less" engineering methods put into modern systems.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
Seems like most if not all new decks come with remotes. I know one style is supposed to be able control your deck without opening the glove compartment etc. I believe it's the RF remote(radio frequency)? If not, it's the other one which I can't think of at the moment. I lost touch with aftermarket car stereo's about 25 years ago.
Yes, mine has a remote, but it's IR (Infra red) which requires line of sight. and yes, RF MIGHT be able to control through the glovebox door, but the metal plate on it might be somewhat of a hindrance. Besides, unless the remote has a display on it, you still need to see the display of the deck to see what it is you're altering ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in