chasing a rabbit. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chasing a rabbit.

As I posted a month ago got into a minor accident broken tie rod bent lower control arm. Minor body damage. Well now I am 35 day into repairing the car. Each day something new. Right now as it stands, pull frame found it was bent from well who knows when but it frame was painted after the fact. Lower control arm. Both tie rods center link idler arm. Next was rear seal, then valley pan seal. New intake and carb sit too high after edlebrock insured me it would fit. Some how new valve cover gaskets don't fit 3 sets 3 failures. Passenger rim was cracked ordered new one get it and it looks worse then the old one. Finally get everything together and what would you know another leak this time from a break line. So 35 days in and haven't got it to paint and body yet. Think I've spent more time on the car then work this month. One day I will catch this rabbit I am chasing and it will be delicious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The ones that are elusive are that much sweeter...Hang in there, always something with these cars and life in general. Hope you were insured fully for value.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I hate to sound cynical, but reading all your problems makes me feel better! HaHaHa. I thought I was the only one who seemingly always had "sh*t happen"! Hahaha. The real world of old cars is not so easy nor perfect as those magazine articles show you or TV shows produce. I have often said I would like to see those "real world" outtakes on some of these cars build shows. I can just hear the swearing now, parts installations & re-installations that don't fit or work, the return trip to the parts store to get "the right part" because the numbskull behind the counter reeeeally doesn't know anything about cars, those trips to the medicine cabinet for bandaides, tools and parts being thrown about in frustration, and cars being kicked! HaHa. That's real world. And once that is all overcome, the joy of hopping in your pride and joy, turning the ignition key and............nothing. Yep, that's my world. But ain't it great. HaHaHa.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed. We all go through our ups and downs with hobby cars. Funny thing is it always seems it's the bad times we remember! Maybe because can seem to be more down than up....

How's this story? The project car I had before the GTO was a 65 Satellite. It actually started with a 65 Belvedere and a small block 360 I built when I was 16. Put the motor in the clapped out Belvedere. Locked the motor up (twice) trans was a constant problem, multiple torque converters, exhaust systems, fuel systems etc. So I took everything out of the Belvedere and put it in the Satellite I bought because the Belvedere was soooo bad. Put thousands of 1990 dollars into the project; two piece fiberglass front clip, roll cage, custom interior and retina searing yellow paint. I moved the springs in and had 12 inch slicks on the back, it was awesome. Took me 5 years to build it and had it done all of 6 months and it burned to the ground street racing when it backfired on a nitrous run.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add...... And no insurance.....

If I was smart I would have quit with cars then....but it's like a disease and I really love the feel, look and smell of old cars.

Last edited by ALKYGTO; 04-21-2014 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got to it this weekend, car wouldn't align faulty parts so I was like I'll just put on the throttle cable and we will wait till Monday for the rest and yes that too didn't fit. But that was my fault clicked the wrong part number. So just drove to opg got the stuff hoping tomorrow I can get it all back together. Then might drive it for a bit before I send it off to paint and body.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
If I was smart I would have quit with cars then....but it's like a disease and I really love the feel, look and smell of old cars.
I feel like if had every dollar I had ever dumped into a car back, I could retire comfortably.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in