Clutch fork issues - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Clutch fork issues

I have finally found the time to dig into the clutch issues on the LeMans. I pulled it apart and the throwout bearing is bad, but not bad enough to cause the issues I had with it. The clip on the clutch fork broke off and caused the bearing to bind so I need a new one. Here's the problem I have. My car does not have the original transmission and I don't know if the bell housing is original or not. The trans is a Saginaw that, from what I can match up, was used in the late 70's early 80's Camaros and Firebirds. How can I figure out what clutch fork I need to put this all back together? Is there a way to identify the bell housing and just get the correct fork for it? Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I have more information today. I found the cast# on the bell housing as 9785581. When I looked it up it lists as being used on Olds, Pontiac, and Buick from 1964 -1978. In which case, should I be OK getting the fork listed for the 70 LeMans regardless which trans is in the car? Unfortunately, there are no numbers cast on the fork to help out there. I looked on Ames and there are three choices. Any comments on which to use?

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Se...ch+fork&sort=0
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

I was able to match up a fork and got it all back together. There was a supplier on Ebay (of all places) that helped me with the measurements. The replacement was made in the US and appears to be better quality than the one I removed (which was not too old). I found a couple things that I need to replace in the future. The clutch rod seems to be too short. With the clutch adjusted correctly, the rod is all the way at the end of the threads. That is OK now, but if I ever need to adjust it, it cannot be brought in.

The other new issue is the speedometer stopped working, It worked fine for about the first 10 miles or so and then stopped. The cable is 2 piece that separates about a foot from the trans which is where I disconnected to replace the clutch. It seems to move very free to the gauge and seems to move free to the trans as well. I am thinking that it is probably the shorter of the two cables or the gear in the tail shaft.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in