Clutch issues - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch issues

Hello everyone, I recently put a new pressure plate and disk in my 70 w/out surfacing the flywheel. Once completed, whenever I would reach the release point it would not only chatter but make a terrible raspy sound. I know you're all thinking the disk must've been installed backwards; however, I just pulled it all back apart and it wasn't. The springs on the disk were riding on the bolt heads of the flywheel even though it was installed correctly. I took the entire kit + flywheel back to Napa for examination, and the recommendation was to order a new flywheel and re-check the tolerances. I guess my real question is if the flywheel is this far out of spec, why didn't it make noise with my old worn out disk? FYI engine is a 455, M21, w/ Hays flywheel resurfaced once 10 years ago. The Napa rep believed the flywheel bolts to be correct, very shallow, they look almost like studs w/ a nut screwed half way on

Just realized I probably should have posted this in the tech section, can a moderator please move if necessary.

Thanks in advance

1970 gto

Last edited by cole455; 04-17-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums.
If the bolts of the flywheel are interfacing with the disk, then the disk/pressure plate must be the wrong ones for that flywheel. Perhaps the flywheel is off another year/ application?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

It's very possible the flywheel could be wrong. I just ordered one from year one, it appears the same as my old one, but it's tough to tell from the thumbnails. It measures 2-3/4's for the crank just like the ones advertised. I guess we'll see.

1970 gto

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
haha rukee has mastered these GTO's

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would say...A parts match issue. Possibly the wrong diamater new clutch. It is pretty difficult to cut a flywheel that much...especiually since you didn't cut it at all.......Eric

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
It's simple: the flywheel is too shallow at the flange area for the new disc. IF the springs are hitting the bolt heads, and the springs on the old disc did not, I would blame the new disc. If, as you say, you are unsure of the flywheel's origin, then the flywheel AND old disc might be some other application. So, a new GTO-spec clutch may not work. The new flywheel should fix your problem. You could measure the clutch disc heights to check. I would also check the depth of the new Pontiac flywheel and compare it with the old one. You'll get it fixed. BTW: I've had good luck with old flywheels that I didn't want to remove to machine by doing the following: Check runout with a dial indicator, if not warped, deglaze flywheel with one of those air powered brillo discs. Clean with brake-clean. Works well, and won't thin out a flywheel. Won't work on a cracked or warped flywheel, though. Good Luck.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in