User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coolant leak

Hi all, warning, more noob questions

It appears I have a slight coolant leak but need to know what to replace. In the pic below you will see it looks like it might be coming from the hose. That clamp is tight. Should I replace the hose?

What type of coolant do you use in these engines? Same as modern cars?

The radiator is full of coolant, but this little container is empty. And what is the black one for?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 PM

Black bottle is for washer fluid. The other one is a home grown shade tree engineered catch tank. If the radiator is full leave it alone, it has plenty. Originally there was no catch tank and a couple inches below the radiator cap would have been normal level for coolant. As for the thermostat housing. It could have pits from corrosion and not sealing well against the hose. It could be the hose or the clamp. If you replace any of it I would replace the thermostat and the gasket plus what ever is wrong. No sense in doing things twice.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Looks like it is coming from both the hose connection and the thermostat housing to intake gasket. I would replace the thermostat and gasket and renew the clamp on the hose cleaning anything bad on the neck of the thermostat housing.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

If I undo that hose will coolant pour out? Will I be able to tell what temp that sensor is?

Thanks
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 AM

Not sure what your asking.

I see ARP bolts if there are more on the engine some one sent some money.

67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

I assumed I am supposed to take those 2 bolts off and there is a thermostat in there? I mean if I removed those bolts then will coolant start spilling out? And there are many thermostats listed, so I would need to know what temp this one I have operated at.

What does ARP mean?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 AM

If you want good heat 185 to 195. I run my cars cool at 165 or no Stat at all. You need to drain out some coolant from the radiator before you remove the 2 bolts on the housing that the hose goes into. Like an oil pain full. The bottom of the radiator inside by the engine should have a petcock to drain from. 185 should be about an all around good temp for almost any older V8. It should be stamped into the old thermostat around where the gasket goes as to what temp it is. You can put it in a pot on the stove heat it up with a temperature gauge/ thermometer in the pot with it and watch when it start to open.

If you look at the top of the bolts holding the thermostat housing and the intake there is ARP printed on them.

67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
coolant leak is due to water neck being cast iron while intake is aluminum, should use an aluminum water neck so dissimilar metal expansion is not causing the leak. Based on the questions, a service manual would be a help for this learning curve. downflow radiator, lose the home made overflow tank unless you are running at the track. Antiseize the bolts on the water neck as well as put sealant on the gasket as well as the hose. Hose is pushed too far down on the neck which causes it to flare out.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
ARP is a brand name of top quality hardware (nuts and bolts) Yes,you have a leak, it looks like at least the hose connection, possibly thr T-stat housing also. Housings are $25 new, t-stats cheap, and hoses $20ish....I would purchase the parts and lovingly replace all 3...but I tend to "over repair" stuff....must be the helopilot mentality. Eric

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, looks like I'll just replace everything. Parts are cheap enough, so well worth knowing the problem is fixed.

What type of sealant should I use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in