User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Corroded Fuse Block......

I thought I saw a post somewhere where they recommended how to clean the fuse holders from corrosion and make them shiny again short of installing a new block?

I installed a volt meter and attached grounds for other gauges that weren't connected. Had lost all lights except headlights, flasher and dome. Thought something went wrong when I was under the dash. Turns out, I think it was just a cowinky dink. Fuses checked out fine, except one looked like it almost had an oily substance thru the glass. Reinstalled it and all the lights came on. Going to replace the fuse anyway. However, it could have been a result of removing and reinstalling it and it made a better connection. The fuse block is original. Can't make out any of the labels. Thankfully, I have a manual which shows what is what.

I've had a Painless fuse block for a couple of years. I'm hesitant to take the plunge and start cutting wires and transfer them to the new block. Everything is labeled on the block, but I see multiple ign switches. I'm just concerned about melting everything as soon as I power it up and hit the ignition... Anybody convert to this Painless block? For now, I'd just like to clean up what I have....

Here's some pix....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Get some electrical contact cleaner, and spray it down with that after wire brushing all the terminals clean. My fuse block is crappy in my 70, think it had a windshield leak at some time. I've never did a painless, but it will make it better, except you have to splice everything and make more problems if not done right..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
more typical problem these days are that some glass fuses are poor quality and they lose conductivity under the ends so the fuse is not blown, but the fuse ends have failed under the metal where those caps connect to the fusible link inside the glass tube.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Garage
That process does not sound painless??? I bought a dash harness from Y.O. for my 65. Its an exact duplicate of the original harness. I'm in the process of installing the dash panel and will then plug in the connectors and guage lights and keep my fingers crossed when I apply power.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Garage
I got a new harness from M&H...it is an exact duplicate of the original with better insulation.......a lot of $$$$$ ($400, if I remember correctly).....E

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:07 AM

i used a dremmel tool on mine.

Shane Doss

66 tempest
64 el camino
02 mullis dragster
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for the info, gents... Using a dremel tool was one of the options I thought would work good. Bought one from Harbor Freight awhile ago. What a piece of crap. Get what you pay for. The variable speed switch is screwed up to where I really can't use it. I see Dremel makes a kit that has an additional power tool that is alot smaller than the standard one. Thought that would work good on the fuse panel.

Electrical contact cleaner sounds like it would work too. As far as the Painless panel, I figure if I could mount it close enough to where the original one is, I shouldn't have to splice wires. However, being that it's much larger, that may not be feasible....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in