User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Craeger SS Rims ?

So, I was thinking about getting some Ralley II wheels for my 68 lemans, but I've had a change of heart. I really like the looks of the Craeger SS chrome wheels..... So I have a couple questions....

Should I just buy 14" Rims, that way I can use the tires that are on my old wheels, tires are almost new. Or should I buy 15" wheels, and purchase new tires to go with it?

I have drum brakes yet all the way around, if that matters or not?

Also, I would like to go with the deep dish wheels for the back, and regular for the fronts, but I can't remember what is a good size for this..... Can anyone recommend a size of wheel for the 14" wheels, or am I crazy for staying with the 14" size?

Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I like and run 14" wheels because that's what I grew up with, it's what the cars came with, and I like the look of the tall sidewall filling the wheel well. Mostly, I like it because it is the dead opposite of the new-trend Ghetto wheels with rubber band tires. Rukee, who posts on this forum, is running Cragars. Check with him. I agree, they look perfect on a vintage Pontiac.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
On a side note, I forgot to ad: 14 inch tires are getting harder and harder to find. In the long run, 15's will be easier to get. Just something to consider.....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I've got Cragar SS mags on my '68, I love the period "hot rod" look. I have 15 X 7 with Goodyear Eagle 235/60/15 on the front and 15 X 8 with 275/60/15 Goodyear Eagle drag radials on the rear. The 14 inch tires are hard to find if you want a high performance tire. A friend of mine has had no luck finding 14's to use at the track.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Garage
Also, if you decide to go with Cragars buy the "direct drill" version. Their specific for GM, Ford or Mopar. The ones I have were on the car when I bought it and are the "unit-fit" type. They have different size washers you use depending on your bolt pattern, you have to be careful mounting the wheels to insure their torqued on straight, a pain in the ass. I recently found the direct drill versions available thru Jegs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM

15's are the way to go, as said, 14 are limiting, better selection with 15's, Here's a couple pics of my El Camino 14 x 6 front 225 70, 15 X 8 1/2 rear 275 60's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	16735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	16736  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Have you guys ever heard of " reverse" style rims? I remember ordering some cragers years ago for my 75 lemans, and I remember for the back rims, we ordered something like 15 x 8" reverse..... It gives it a deep dish appearance. It's like the 5 chrome spokes are set back in the rim farther, giving it the deep dish look. Do you guys know what I am talking about? I don't see it listed on the Jegs ordering page.... Just curious if you guys know what I am talking about?

Cragar 61C Series S/S Super Sport Chrome Wheels - JEGS
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho power View Post
Have you guys ever heard of " reverse" style rims? I remember ordering some cragers years ago for my 75 lemans, and I remember for the back rims, we ordered something like 15 x 8" reverse..... It gives it a deep dish appearance. It's like the 5 chrome spokes are set back in the rim farther, giving it the deep dish look. Do you guys know what I am talking about? I don't see it listed on the Jegs ordering page.... Just curious if you guys know what I am talking about?

see the El Camino above, the front wheels have less the 2 inches backspacing, they are 14 X 6, abit tough on wheel bearings. They have been on there since 1969.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho power View Post

I believe you're talking about reverse offset. That's what I have on the back of mine. It's only around 2 - 2 1/2" backspace and the tire may stick out past the fender. They do on mine which are 15x8, 255/60.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
I believe you're talking about reverse offset. That's what I have on the back of mine. It's only around 2 - 2 1/2" backspace and the tire may stick out past the fender. They do on mine which are 15x8, 255/60.
that's where I am getting a little confused....
If you look on the that link for Jegs, it says 15 x 8, 5 x 4.750", and then says for offset -6mm, and rear spacing 4 1/4" I wish I knew more what the offset and rear spacing will do as far as looks. But according to that ordering link, for my 4 3/4" bolt pattern, that is the only offset they offer in a 15 x 8". so, maybe I just need to call them and ask....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in