User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crankshaft pulley is wobbly

I noticed this the other day.
I haven't looked further into the problem physically, I've been doing some reading.
If the camshaft bolt is loose how do I go about torquing it to spec? I'm guessing there is some tool to help which I don't have.
Would there be any other problem, which the pulley is wobbley?

Last edited by 1974GTO; 04-02-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: I meant Crankshaft not camshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Crankshaft pulley is wobbly, right?

with it running, look at the outer ring on the harmonic balancer - where the timing mark is. Is that wobbly too, or is it just the belt pulleys?

The big bolt in the center of the harmonic balancer gets torqued to 160 ft. lb. - and it needs to be right. You need a good torque wrench and some cojones to do it

If it's just the belt pulleys wobbling and not the whole balancer assembly, check the 4 bolts that hold the pulley stack on. Make sure you have the 'spacer ring' on top of the pulley stack and under the bolt heads. It's there to keep the bolt heads from ripping out the center of the pulley(s). Also make sure your pulley(s) isn't/aren't bent, and that they're centered over the protrusion in the center of the balancer hub. They have to fit "around" that, otherwise the only things keeping them centered are the bolts, and they won't last long doing that.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes, Crankshaft is exactly what I meant, I must had been thinking about camshafts when asking that question.
I've tried to change it but didn't work.
Thanks for the reply and I will give it a shot tomorrow. I was watching it today it doesn't seem to wobbling as much as I thought compared to the first day I noticed it. Does it usually turn fairly smoothly or is there a little movement in it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
when you get it set right put a dab of loctite on the 4 bolt for the pulley, had a set come loose after first start up and caught it just in time, would have been bad if it let loose at WOT.....

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I took my goat to a mechanic and he said to keep an eye on it. He said "some kind of go in and out as it rotates" but he also said it could be the rubber seal or what ever it is. Is that the Harmonic balancer the rubber part?oh the metal rng is right? I forget. But if it gets worrse to yake it back.
I'm taking it there next week so he can look over it. Its been a while since its been to a mechanic.
Going to get him to look at the starter. Its got starting problems.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974GTO View Post
I took my goat to a mechanic and he said to keep an eye on it. He said "some kind of go in and out as it rotates" but he also said it could be the rubber seal or what ever it is. Is that the Harmonic balancer the rubber part?oh the metal rng is right? I forget. But if it gets worrse to yake it back.
I'm taking it there next week so he can look over it. Its been a while since its been to a mechanic.
Going to get him to look at the starter. Its got starting problems.
The outer ring does have a rubber interface between it and the center hub, and when that starts to wear out it can allow the outer ring to wobble (and signals a balancer that needs to be replaced). However, the pulleys bolt to the solid inner hub of the balancer - the part that fits over the crank snout and is held on by that big A** bolt - and is separate from the outer ring. If it's the inner hub wobbling, then you've got a bent crank, a bent (or defective) balancer hub, bent/defective pulleys, or improperly installed/loose pulleys.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in