LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Cruisin' Tunes - what pumps you up?

Time for a little fun and enjoyment. Yep, Spring is just around the corner and many will be pulling their rides out of hibernation and hitting the roads.

For me, certain songs and their "beat/tone" go hand-in-hand with driving. They compliment one's state of mind and the environment or surrounding situation (the scene you are part of -like a movie). There are songs that fit perfectly those times when you're just cruisin' real "bad ass" like looking for that one car to run and put him into the weeds. There are those song's you just gotta have blaring with the convertible top down, wind in your face, and clocking 80MPH on the highway just burning up every new car in sight (radar detector a must!). There are those songs where you are cruisin' for chicks or just being cool driving down the "avenue." And then there are my favorites, those tunes that pump you up and make you feel like you and the car are invincible and you're in a car chase movie with "blue light specials" in your rearview and 'ain't nothing going to catch you, aka "Gone in 60 Seconds," "Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry," or "The Blue's Brothers."

So what are your favorite cruisin' tunes, and maybe if you can, give us the scene where the tune is best used -cruisin' in general, cruisin' for chick's, trolling for that match race, top down, highway speeds, or getting into trouble!

BTW: Throwing in a little imagination into the "scene" you think your tune fits is perfectly acceptable - gives us a picture of your movie, real or imagined.

PS - I would imagine that many of the tunes that will be listed will probably be found on Youtube and can be heard so we all might enjoy another's recommendation if it is something we are not familiar with, be it "old" or "contemporary."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, I'm going to start. I have a bunch of favorite tunes, new and old, but you gotta love Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55" for some fast paced highway blasts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Wah wah wawawawah little GTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_FSicQWimU

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Highway to Hell- AC/DC

http://youtu.be/YJQp7Id2ywE

Running with the Devil- Van Halen

http://youtu.be/tpX3NhpRGdE

Over the Hills and Far Away- Zeppelin

http://youtu.be/0Az-TuYb4h0
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:00 PM

I happened to start High School in the Fall of 1963, which coincides with the introduction of the GTO. I had the good fortune to have friends with fast cars (409 Chevy, FI Corvette, and a GTO). Any songs from 1963-1966 remind me of the times we spent "scooping the loop" in those great cars. When driving my current 1966 GTO, I generally put on songs from that era, ,along with a big smile, shift that 4 speed, ,and suddenly I don't feel quite so old!

1966 TriPower, 4 spd, PHS documented.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMTiger View Post
I happened to start High School in the Fall of 1963, which coincides with the introduction of the GTO. I had the good fortune to have friends with fast cars (409 Chevy, FI Corvette, and a GTO). Any songs from 1963-1966 remind me of the times we spent "scooping the loop" in those great cars. When driving my current 1966 GTO, I generally put on songs from that era, ,along with a big smile, shift that 4 speed, ,and suddenly I don't feel quite so old!
My car came with a cassette player radio and I thought about putting in an original radio but went with a Retro Sound and dual cones for the front and rear speakers.
CD player is in the glove box and I have a bunch of pre 67 songs on CDs, Beatles, Mamas and Papas, Jefferson Airplane etc. stuff that would have been on the radio in '67.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, Anything on Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets by Metallica....but...

This one can get me in trouble.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

Since I cruise to enjoy my Monte SS, too many ricer clowns with their hats backwards chase me around...I tend to play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPFrXvc2rE Pantera's Domination....

Um cruising for chicks? To remind myself not to I play this: besides, they think my car is beastly and scary....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6LL5iA6y9o Megadeth In My Darkest Hour....

Finally to go with my 8 track...wish this version of Dreamweaver by Crowbar was on it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lQPri8bt4

Now Run to the Hills and or Aces high would be perfect during a street race with some fool in their honda.....

I take it you will Notice a theme here...yes I went to High School during the 80's and grew up on Thrash Metal and other forms of metal music.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
deep purple. highway star, no matter what year gto you drive.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Garage
After reading what Nightshade listens to, I have submitted his name for random urinalysis. I'm with georgegervin. Throw in some Steppenwolf and Black Sabbath. Matt

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Remember the era of Heavy Metal bands and I hated them.(I liked the Hair Bands) Heavy Metal always seemed to me to be heavy handed on the instruments, had vocals that were more like yelling or guttural narration rather than singing, and there always seemed to be this annoying white noise static sound that was layered over the song. Seemed satanic to me as best I could describe it. A lot of the "stoners" I knew used to listen to it so I can only take it that it is best listened to in an altered state of mind.

Never got into the "acid rock" groups/players of the 60's & early 70's either. Sure, a few songs I can listen too, but again, seemed to me that my friends who imbibed in the illegals listened to these groups as well.

It seems our connectedness to a genre of songs are formed around the times of our early adulthood when we turned 18 and moved into our early 20's. We were "legal" and no longer under parental controls. It was a time when we stepped out into the adult world thinking we knew it all and could do it all. It was a time when we learned who we were and who we were not, what we could do and get away with, and what got us in trouble -and we didn't care either. I think it was a time that "molded" us more so than any other time in our lives -we established our identities.

I got into fast cars in the early 80's and many of my memories & experiences with them in my early 20's were tied to the music of that era which was "disco". So those disco songs (and wet T-shirt contests) are intertwined with my recollections and memories of my young adulthood and something I can identify with. But I also enjoy the songs from the late 50's & early 60's (and the "doo-wop" era) as I first listened to these songs when I got interested in old cars at 15 and bought my then 19 year old 1956 Pontiac when I was 16. Of course who doesn't like the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean for their flavor of hot rod songs? Now, I like a whole spectrum of songs and artists/groups -old & new. I listen to music way more than watch TV.

Now here is a great cruisin' the avenue song. Anyone who has watched American Gaffiti will recognize this song by Booker T and the MG's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in