User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Customizing a GTO?

I know most muscle car guys prefer to keep their cars close to stock, maybe upgrade the driveline for more HP, but does anyone out there know if there are any customized (body modifications) GTO, or Lemans, out there? Besides the Monkee mobile, I know of a local one that was chopped by a famous NJ customizer back in the 70's. Any others? grill, tail light changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Off with his head I say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968gto421 likes this.

Today is the only day that truly matters; Here's hoping that your's is beautiful.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopolds View Post
I know most muscle car guys prefer to keep their cars close to stock, maybe upgrade the driveline for more HP, but does anyone out there know if there are any customized (body modifications) GTO, or Lemans, out there? Besides the Monkee mobile, I know of a local one that was chopped by a famous NJ customizer back in the 70's. Any others? grill, tail light changes?

Yeah, there was one Sheryl Crow had a famous shop customize for Lance Armstrong, the bicycle king. I know he doesn't have it any more but don't know where it is. Here's a link to the sale:

https://www.dailymail********/tvshow...ur-France.html

Personally I consider LeMans's and Tempest's that become "GTO"'s basically as customized LeMans and Tempests although "clone" is a nice derogatory term

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
And don't forget those XXX abominations.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, a lot of you guys are gonna hate me. But the car I'm building, for a friend, was probably the most rotten out POS I've ever worked on. I think it was dredged out of the ocean. So not feeling guilty about what I do to it.
My background is more 40's and 50's cars, though I've done restorations on 30's to 60's cars, as well. But my passion is 50's style Kustom cars. That is, major body restyling, modification.
This GTO I'm doing, I've already replaced just about every panel on the body shell, on a rotisserie. The chassis, we discovered, was just as rotten as the body. I had Art Morrison bend me up some tubing and am assembling the frame now. It will incorporate all 1993 Corvette suspension. We will use the Vette's LT1 and 6 speed stick, as well. Possibly more of the Vette parts, as well, not decided on that.
It is possible that I may do some Vette styling changes on the GTO body, and probably the interior. I'm thinking about fabbing a Stinger type hood scoop and maybe use the 93 tail lights on it. Possibly thinner bumpers, and rolled pans, front and rear. Still in discussion with the owner about how far we will go. But I don't want to lose too much of the GTO styling, just do the Vette touches, and refine the shape a bit. Wondering if you guys are interested in a build thread on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0244.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	117265   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0247.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	117267   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0250.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	117269  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, a lot of you guys are gonna hate me. But the car I'm building, for a friend, was probably the most rotten out POS I've ever worked on. I think it was dredged out of the ocean. So not feeling guilty about what I do to it.
My background is more 40's and 50's cars, though I've done restorations on 30's to 60's cars, as well. But my passion is 50's style Kustom cars. That is, major body restyling, modification.
This GTO I'm doing, I've already replaced just about every panel on the body shell, on a rotisserie. The chassis, we discovered, was just as rotten as the body. I had Art Morrison bend me up some tubing and am assembling the frame now. It will incorporate all 1993 Corvette suspension. We will use the Vette's LT1 and 6 speed stick, as well. Possibly more of the Vette parts, as well, not decided on that.
It is possible that I may do some Vette styling changes on the GTO body, and probably the interior. I'm thinking about fabbing a Stinger type hood scoop and maybe use the 93 tail lights on it. Possibly thinner bumpers, and rolled pans, front and rear. Still in discussion with the owner about how far we will go. But I don't want to lose too much of the GTO styling, just do the Vette touches, and refine the shape a bit. Wondering if you guys are interested in a build thread on it.
I am onboard. Although I am one who does not appreciate LS engines, cloning, tributes, or the newest buzz word "recreations," I love customs/hot rods of the 40's, 50's, and early 60's. I am of the mindset that some cars have to be restored, some can be modified, and others if being saved from the scrap heap can get any treatment you see fit as long as you you don't try to portray the car as something it no longer is.

I think a top chop & laying back the front glass, if correctly proportioned, would be on my list, as well as lowering it. A few inches taken out of the beltline would most likely balance a top chop and lowering. Saw a '69 mustang this was done to and it was fantastic and bad-ass looking. I believe he had sectioned the wheel wells and raised them up to give it correct proportions as well rather, than drop them down disproportionate to the rest of the mods. I'd shave the door locks, but gotta have the factory chrome door handles to keep the 60's flavor. Shave the rain gutters. I would ditch all the lower body chrome and wheel well trim, but find/use something like a 1/2" chrome strip along the lower rocker panel to break the car's color with the black pavement defining a line between the two. The old style clear lens Lucas headlights to replace the T-3's. Bumpers could be left chrome, but "tightened" up for a better fit OR go fiberglass and mold in smooth and shoot with body color. Rims would have to be Pontiac poverty (dog dish) hub caps fitted to a 17"/18" steely (black) rim. White interior only. Color choice will make or break this car.

I don't think you can do a lot of mods like a '50's car without losing too much of the original car. You still want to have those identifiers that say it's a GTO and make it a GTO. You just have to mindful as to how you go about it................or you will be hated by the GTO community. LOL

Please, do post the project as it progresses and maybe even get a few opinions that might contribute to the build and shape its outcome.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
butch em up !!

looks like a 68 n newer balancer hiding under the hood already ...

I just walk by the ls cars at the shows .... check out the bodys and interiors ... and move along

It just makes our originals worth a few bucks more cuz there will be 1 less real/restored original in the gene pool

I do like the dual reclining seats tho .....

Scott
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968gto421 View Post
Quote:

Yeah, there was one Sheryl Crow had a famous shop customize for Lance Armstrong, the bicycle king. I know he doesn't have it any more but don't know where it is. Here's a link to the sale:

https://www.dailymail********/tvshow...ur-France.html

Personally I consider LeMans's and Tempest's that become "GTO"'s basically as customized LeMans and Tempests although "clone" is a nice derogatory term[IMG class=inlineimg]/images/GTOforum_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]
If I remember wasn't that a chip Foose car on overhauling ? Doug
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

PontiacJim, just the kind of guy I hope to get some ideas from, and perhaps impress! While My shop focus is on 50's leadsleads, this build is going to be completely different. But still using the sheet metal fabrication skills, and eye for changes to make the car better looking. I enjoy a challenge, and often build very different types of cars for people. From a stock 36 Plymouth 4 door sedan, to a 2014 Malibu customized with Aston Martin, Ferrari, and Corvette pieces, with almost half the body hand made.
The idea is to use 50's customizing tricks, to update and modernize the looks of the 67. And bring in Vette influence. Not trying to retro style the car back to the 50's, or even 60's. Wheels/tires will have to be modern Vette stuff. To take advantage of all the suspension mods, and also, just to fit the larger rotors, and deep backspacing requirements. This will set the tone for the rest of the interior and exterior modifications. I know it's been done before with the mechanical aspects, but not so much with exterior styling. Somehow most builders think changing the exterior is blasphemy. I don't!
BTW, if you're really into the 50's leadsled stuff, I also transformed a 55 Chevy pickup truck, into THIS! (blue truck pic is not the truck we started with, it's an example of a stocker)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original 55 truck.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	117281   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0169.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	117283   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_0329Location0011.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	117285  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
"...just the kind of guy I hope to get some ideas from, and perhaps impress!..."

Yeah, it does sound like you are trying to impress us with your skills.

I'm NOT impressed !

If you not going to use Pontiac power, I think you should post this stuff on a Chevy forum. They might be more impressed.

This is my personal opinion only. I have no quarrel with anyone who has a different opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in