Does anyone live near Fredericksburg, Virginia? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone live near Fredericksburg, Virginia?

Hey there, my Pontiac is my first car (junior in High School) and i just wanted to know if there were any others who could teach me things or just cruise with. I always loved muscle cars and fell in love with mine the day i saw her on the side of the road. I've done a couple things to her, but it's not like I know how to rebuild an engine or anything yet. So if anyone lives near fredericksburg or somewhere near, I'd be glad to go cruisin one day. Thanks.
-Judson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Judson,

What car did you find?

There's a quite "active" group from Fredericksburg, actually. I have some friends and customers up that way, including Gene Kinch and his magnificent "Gallopin' Goat". It's a '68, "all steel", 3,400 lbs. Goes 9.90s @ 134 with iron d-ports, no "adders". E-mail me at

[email protected]

I'll forward it to Gene and you guys can "hook up".

Since this is your first leap into Pontiacs, and cars in general, I would recommend you get Jim Hand's "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s", published by SA Designs. This will familiarize you with the Pontiac, set "the record straight" regarding much "myth and superstition" surrounding the Pontiac,. and let you know what we "do" with the ol' Injun.

Best advice I can offer? Do NOT "listen" to Chevy or Ford boys about "what works". their little engiens are no "match" for the big Pontiacs, nor are the modifications that make them "work" the same as what makes the Pontiac "work". And when they run their mouths about 'You can't make a Pontiac run, gotta use a Chevy in it", well, let's just say, we'll be happy to arrange a "match race" (I don't want to know about the wagers)... Bring a 454-powered Chevelle running 93 octane and no power adders, and we'll have a 455 or two ready to stomp a mudhole in there "collectives"... (:-

Welcome to the higher "side" of GM performance cars!

Jim
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Im in Warrenton, VA, about an hour away from Fredericksburg. If you need some help let me know, ill def try and help if i can.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, she's not a GTO, she's a 1969 Pontiac Custom S, but the uniqueness is what I love. She's been in the shop for the past week (had little things get fixed and getting a set of headers WOO!) so hopefully this weekend or so she'll be back in my garage. Basically everything is original engine and tranny wise. it's a 350 2 bbl and a 3 speed auto. The things I have done are: put new rear springs, new tires, tint, added a 15'' subwoofer in the trunk, and I have an orange underglow kit to finish putting on. Other than that I'm in the dark. I'm sure someday I might want to upgrade the brakes, put in a 4 or 5 speed, and even a 4 bbl, but I have no clue how to do that. So if you wanna meet, cruise, talk, ect. I'd be happy too.
- Judson
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 AM

NeMansguy,

I just went through there a couple weeks ago, on my way to Flint Hill. Another REAL Pontiac guy lives there. Brian Davidson, a '67 Firebird with one of our 461s in it. I also stopped in Amissvile to pick up a 400 for a man there, for his '78 T/A. We're doing all the machine work and providing one of our "kits". He'll make 350 HP and 450 lb. ft. with his low-compression 400.

"Small" world... (:-

Jim
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Pontiac Z - mine is also a '69 LeMans. I have a rebuilt 350 bored 30 over, edelbrock 4 bbl carb and intake, turbo 400 trans with a shift kit, stock rear. The car came from the factory with power brakes, power steering, rally gauges, bucket seats, floor shifter, and no AC. My dad was the second owner, bought it back in 1983. I got it from him back in 2003. It is currently in my garage, trying to get it back on the road after sitting for 3+ years.

Mr. PBody - wow im suprised by all the Pontiac activity within such a small area. Do you have a website by chance?

I am just now really getting back into my LeMans. I was heavily into motorcycles and my LS1 Camaro for 5 years, and the LeMans just sat in the driveway being ignored. I sold the camaro last fall, bought a beater to drive to work, and the LeMans is now in the Garage where it belongs.

'69 LeMans
-Rusted out money pit...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 AM

You would be AMAZED at all the hard-core Pontiac racers in central and northern VA!

Central Virginia Machine Service - Home of the Injun Engine!

Be sure to read "The Dirty Bird Story"!

Jim
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the Pontiac world. I am glad to see some young people interested in old Pontiacs. If you want an old school look then leave the orange glow lights off. Those are for ricers not Pontiacs. Good luck with your car, you will learn a lot by doing work on it yourself.

Johnny
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
6T5Goat- I have the underglow because its my school colors and I have it on after my football games. Personally I like it, it doesnt look ricer that much and goes well with my tint.

LeMansGuy- how much power do you have? because i make less than 200 because of my 2 bbl and im looking for a 4 or quad.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM

PontiacZ,

A "4" IS a "quad". Don't add a 4-bbl. carb unless you upgrade the camshaft to "back it up". Simply adding the bigger carb will make it "sound" a little more aggressive at WOT, but it won't improve performance enough to justify it. Adding the cam will "complete" the package.

Get the book! You're gonna need it!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in