User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Engine starts hard when hot.

Started my 67 after many years yesterday and it cranked over very easy then when the engine warmed up it was very difficult to start.Battery is brand new and super duty 1000 amps, Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Possible: high resistance in starter windings, high resistance in battery cables, overly advanced timing due to sticking centrifugal weights caused by gummed up distributor shaft. (Very common on cars that have sat awhile!)
Bobbyg and PontiacJim like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
Started my 67 after many years yesterday and it cranked over very easy then when the engine warmed up it was very difficult to start.Battery is brand new and super duty 1000 amps, Thanks for any help
Carb might be dried out from setting so long and needs a good rebuild - new gaskets, accelerator pump, needle & seat. You could have gas dripping into the intake and this would also cause a hard start problem - kinda like flooding the engine.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Heat soaking of starter........a known Pontiac problem.....my 78 TA does this.......just let it cool down for 20-30 minutes....then it starts fine again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

could this be a problem due to the timing be to far advanced ? if so which way would I turn the distributor to retard it ? Thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Pontiac distributors turn CCW........you turn against rotation to advance and with rotation to retard.....

But I doubt it is timing as timing does not change between a cold and hot start,...unless a condition like GTO guy said with sticking weights.

Rather your car started fine cold,....that means the choke and fast idle cam were able to give it a rich enough mixture so it fired right up...

But all those systems are not supposed to be in play on a hot start,.....so Like PJ said a gummed up carb, idle mixture set a bit too lean....

Also make sure the choke and fast idle cam release, because if they are stuck....the mixture will be too rich when hot and the car will not start because it is flooded,. Will smoke and idle rough if they stay engaged..

Could also be electrical resistance that does not occur until hot....

To begin with use some carb cleaner on that carb, for a quick clean, You still should rebuild it after 10 years. Look under the distributor cap and check weights and springs, a spring could be off,...and get fresh gasoline.

Leave that timing alone for the moment, it started,....investigate some other places or you will get hung up,....you can check it with a timing light.....to see where it is without moving it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
You can rule out the sticking distributor weights in 2 minutes next time it acts up. Simply pull the dist cap and see if you can manually turn the rotor. If you can, it was stuck in the mechanical position due to a gummed up distributor shaft. Very common. If this is NOT the issue, at least you've eliminated it. From your description, it is a slow cranking when hot issue, correct? NOT a crank and crank and crank, but no start issue?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
You can rule out the sticking distributor weights in 2 minutes next time it acts up. Simply pull the dist cap and see if you can manually turn the rotor. If you can, it was stuck in the mechanical position due to a gummed up distributor shaft. Very common. If this is NOT the issue, at least you've eliminated it. From your description, it is a slow cranking when hot issue, correct? NOT a crank and crank and crank, but no start issue?
Nope not a starting issue, Spins like hell when cold but when I turn it off and immediately try to re start it when hot it bogs down, almost like there is to much compression to let the pistons spin (I know this is not the case but trying to explain what it does)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have headers on the car? I experienced this on my 70 skylark after I installed headers. The starter got too hot and acted like the compression was super high. Buy a heat wrap and wrap the starter. Should take care of the problem.

God, Country, Cars
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
There are many threads on this forum dealing with this problem. I used the google custom search in the upper right corner of the screen. Anyway here is an example of thigs I found. Check this link out:

https://www.gtoforum.com/f50/69-gto-...en-hot-107754/

Best of luck resolving this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in