• 1 Post By PontiacJim
  • 1 Post By alanmay0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Engine won't turn over

Hello again, Well I put a little mystery oil in my cylinders of my 1967 GTO today and then went to turn it over by hand. It only turn about 1/4 turn and then it hits something solid in the engine and won't turn any farther. I can then turn it back the other way again for about 1/4 turn and then it hits something solid.

Now it was turning over fine about a month ago. Then about the same time I used a converted distributor and a drill and spun the oil pump to get oil throughout the engine. The valve covers were off and I could see the oil coming out of the push rods so I quit and put the valve covers back on.

Yesterday I went to prime the engine with oil again and used the same technique but no oil was observed so I quit.

Now today I went to turn the engine over by hand and as I stated above it hits something solid.

I a wondering if maybe I damaged the oil pump or something came loose in the oil pump and is now preventing the engine from turning over.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome. I dread having to pull the oil pan off to inspect it if there is an easier way.

Thank all of you for you help on many subjects.
alan

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Pull the valve covers and check the springs and make sure you don't have a dropped/stuck valve.
Are you turning the oil pump counter clockwise?
Are the plugs out?
If not you could be hydraulicing the piston(s) with the Mystery oil.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
pull the plugs. if it's hydraulic lock that would fix it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
My bet is oil pump driveshaft has dropped down, not engaging oil pump, & is now jammed up against crank throw. Going to have to pull the distributor, & get in a position to see the problem. At least you have a '64-67 where typically, there is enough room to contort ones body & look down the distrib hole.
Bredfan likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
My bet is oil pump driveshaft has dropped down, not engaging oil pump, & is now jammed up against crank throw. Going to have to pull the distributor, & get in a position to see the problem. At least you have a '64-67 where typically, there is enough room to contort ones body & look down the distrib hole.
The OP driveshaft dropping down, is that a common thing?? Happened to me once and scared the CR.. out of me. Thought I would have to pull the engine to get it out but found a super magnet and put it on a long stick and was able to get it out. I think the shaft kind of sticks in the bottom of the Dist and then drops back in missing the right spot?? I would clean both and make sure it is free for the next removal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the65gto View Post
The OP driveshaft dropping down, is that a common thing?? Happened to me once and scared the CR.. out of me. Thought I would have to pull the engine to get it out but found a super magnet and put it on a long stick and was able to get it out. I think the shaft kind of sticks in the bottom of the Dist and then drops back in missing the right spot?? I would clean both and make sure it is free for the next removal.
Read this post: https://www.gtoforum.com/f178/stuck-oil-pump-123042/
Bredfan likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
X2, oil pump shaft probably got lifted up and out when you took off the oil priming tool and it may have dropped down into the engine. Read this post: https://www.gtoforum.com/f178/not-sur...-doing-112257/
Bredfan likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Problem solved, it was the oil pump shaft. I pulled it out of the engine using a pair of needle nose pliers today. Will order a new one tomorrow. Thank you all so very much for your advise. Most always get good answers on the forum.
Bredfan likes this.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in