Ever have one of those days? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever have one of those days?

When one small project leads to a bigger project, which leads to a bigger project... etc.

I promissed the wife that I was not doing a frame-off for many years, but was hard to convince her of that after she saw this. It started as simply pulling the old 400 for a new 455 build. What a great time to detail the engine compartment a little! Well, one bolt leads to another then to 200, and you get this...

Oh well, made me smile. But I had to promise her I would not be posting pictures to the "restoration thread" here on the forum anytime in the near future!

I do need to do a little research for good paint options, etc. to obtain a decent looking finished project.

If you are still reading what recommendations do you have for cleaning/degreasing the frame without making too big of a project out of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front clip.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	16264  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Actually, last year it happened to me.... a simple engine pull to clean it up check it out and repaint went from 200 to well over 2,000 $ job.... one thing led to another, once the engine was out I could not see putting back old parts.. 99% was replaced under hood. 40 years of people doing it all wrong.... well, it wasn't going back like that. Every day I was ordering parts and running to NAPA it seemed. When it was all done? Glad I did it.. now its done.

The plan was to do this this winter that next winter and then eventually all would be completed in due time.. Well, this led to that and that to that.. I called it the accelerated Git -R-Dun program. This is actually the first winter I had it I am not working on it accept detailing and some minor things. Now once I can convince her I need that '67 rag top I can start over again.... she will eventually warm to this proposition..... maybe

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Go rent a power washer

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Go rent a power washer

Bear
Actually that is what I did once the engine was out and the car in the drive. I blasted the grime and painted mud and dirt away most of it anyway.. I bagged off areas I didn't want wet and carefully power washed everything. I got it to bare metal in most areas, it eliminated a lot of sanding. Once dry I applied degreaser brake cleaner to prep the surfaces for primer and paint. Turned out rather well for a novice. The Eastwood paints applied still look fresh and new.

Pics before is after power washing and before sanding and grinding, the cooling lines and hoses motor mounts etc were old and replaced after new paint applied. The AC hose clamp was also removed and replaced with the proper bracket since the car never had AC.

Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator as the primer was used then their Extreme Chassis Black on the chassis and chassis components, then their Underhood black on everything else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020067.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	16265 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020068 (2).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	16266 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020098.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	962.7 KB
ID:	16267Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020099 (2).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	854.9 KB
ID:	16268Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020100.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	911.0 KB
ID:	16269

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 12-15-2012 at 10:34 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM
MaL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MaL
I was going to clean up the front clip only, but when I saw the front body bushings, I knew I was going to now separate the body from the frame... 5 years later... still plugging away and not driving it...ugh!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
5 YEARS?? Yikes. When I pulled my engine in March of '11 for a reseal job, I almost fell into "just going ahead and pulling the body to do the rest of the undercarriage". Glad I didn't. I just did the engine compartment and steam cleaned the underside and left it at that. I've put almost 4,000 fun-filled miles on the car since then, and am driving it every week, just as I've always done. I can't imagine having a GTO but not being able to drive it for years on end. But, a LOT of people I know are in that exact same predicament. It's all about your priority, and life can get in the way sometimes. Good intentions soon get sidetracked, loose focus, and then run out of steam. The key is, to delegate a small amount of time to work on the car every day or week no matter what....and it'll get finished. Like keeping in shape with exercise. It has to be regular. That's the only way that I know of, short of having unlimited spare time and no commitments, which is pretty rare!!! Good luck bolting it all back together!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I can't imagine having a GTO but not being able to drive it for years on end. But, a LOT of people I know are in that exact same predicament.
That was me for more than 20 years.... Had it not been for my sweet bride, it'd probably still be sitting in pieces.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I started a project 3yrs. ago......it's almost finished now.... Eric

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Eric, My friend Bill's GTO that was finished about 2 years ago took us 3 years to do. I think for most mortals, with time/money constraints, 3-5 years is pretty typical. I got him "motivated" to get moving on it....like Mr. GFR, Bill's car had been sitting for 20 years...When we were done, he had his 21 year old son drive it, and the boy had never seen it run prior to that his whole life!!! Priorites being what they are, timeframes are different for everyone. The goal is not to get overwhelmed and burn out. Speaking of overwhelmed, good luck on the household reconstruction and wishing you a great Holiday season and short work of all of the 'stuff' you're dealing with.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Amen to that! Here's a photo of my older son, taken when I started on the restoration:

When he saw the car move under it's own power for the first time in his life, he was 27 years old. He was also the first person to drive it, other than me. It was cool that he got to help me build the engine though...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in