Factory Air - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Factory Air

My GTO came with factory air conditioning. Alas, it does not work and as we all know the R12 gas is gone.
Anybody know how much (approx.) a conversion to currently available gas would cost?
I may just leave it and have it non-functioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Pretty easy to do you just change out the fittings, purge it and reload with R-134.
There are kits like this one that have the oil, gauge etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-323-Mileage-R-134a-Retrofit/dp/B0002JMDLI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1439783819&sr=8-6&keywords=r12+to+r134a+conversion+kit
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
For your perusal:
Automotive Air Conditioning Conversion to R134a
Basic R12 to R134a Retrofitting
How do I convert R-12 AC system refrigerent to R134a? - Car Forums at Edmunds.com
R12 to R134a A/C conversion - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

You can find lots more on your own.

General caution: Don't take anything you read on a forum or reference site as gospel (even this one ). Lots of the stuff is written by people who've never actually done it and are just repeating what they read somewhere else. Research this as much as you can and then make your own decisions. Plus, not all a/c systems are equal. Some will convert with not too much trouble, some will give you problems. Some have expansion valves, some have orifice tubes. I know that key part on my factory system is now impossible to find and is not being reproduced (nor is it likely to be due to it being R12 specific).

Lastly, it's not true that R12 is gone or is illegal. You DO have to have a certificate/license to be able to purchase it. I've run across sites on-line where you can obtain the needed certification/license for a fee and after you pass the exam. R12 is also now hideously expensive, BUT - if you jump through the proper hoops you can still get it. If the rest of your system is in good repair (or can be made that way) I'd strongly consider that option. R12 systems converted over to R134a aren't going to cool as well. You can lose somewhere in the vicinity of 8 degrees or more at the vents. That doesn't sound like much, but here in Texas in the summer that's the difference between staying comfy and causing you to buy stock in an anti-perspirant company.

Good luck. And please, whatever you decide, please remember to come back and share your experience and your results. Information is a good thing.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
My take, having done quite a few conversions in the past 20 years: With the correct oil, and the system flushed prior, you can install 134 right into a 12 system with no ill effects. You use 75% fill with 134.....that is, instead of a pound of r12, you'd use 3/4 pound of 134. It doesn't seep through the hoses (unless you have a leak), it doesn't burn up the compressor, etc. It works very well. If your system is flat now, you DO have a leak. Your system must be leak checked, repaired, evacuated down with a vacuum pump, vacuum checked, and if ok, you can then change out the valves, receiver/dryer, and recharge and go. Another thought: the VIntage Air ac systems out now work better than the original stuff and take up less than half the real estate. Just a thought.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I can't speak for Vintage Air (the brand), but the R134a system I used in place of my R12 factory air system, from Classic Auto Air, has what are for me two major shortcomings. In fact, had I known about them going in, I most likely would have at least thought a lot harder about it first.
1) No provision for cooling outside air or running in 'Vent' mode. The system is only capable of running in recirculate mode - 100% of the time.
2) The fan is wimpy, even on high. It just doesn't move enough air.
I went with Classic, because at the time no one made a plug and play kit for 69's. I tried to work with Vintage first to see if I might be able to piece together a system from their components that would work, but when I called them and explained what I wanted to do, they really weren't interested in helping me. "Oh, we don't make a kit for that car." ...end of conversation.
Classic didn't make a kit at the time either, but they were at least willing to help me try, and support me with suggestions/parts/components.

This whole thread has me thinking about seeing if I can't either resurrect my original R12 system, or convert it to R134a. I still have all the parts, although I'm sure that some of them have probably corroded/gummed up internally by now to the point where they're not usable. Even if it won't get as cold as it would have on R12, at least I know the that sucker will move some serious air and I'd get all my vent functions back.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Bear, the oem systems I've converted were just as cold afterwards. But, as a qualifier, I have to say none of them were as old as your system. Most of them were orifice tube '80's cars, not POA valve stuff. That sux about the no fresh air....I don't like that at all, especially with no vent wings........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in