Fan guard - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fan guard

Is the fan guard used on 1966 GTO convertible, 4 barrel, automatic, non air, power steering? One was on the car but I do not know if it should be... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I was told my '67 didn't come with one if it had a fan shroud but surfing the net for pics I found this one of a '67 barn find.

Looks original to me and if you look you can see the rt corner isn't bent.
I could also see some scratches in the 4 holes where one was mounted at one time.
I am still not sure if it came with one but I added one anyway.
How is it mounted?
Factory used clips w/ nuts, I couldn't find them and used cage nuts instead.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Mine was on with bolts, has the bent edge. Restoration guide isn't much help on this. The car was very original, but someone had pulled the motor, gone through it, and re-installed. I'm wondering if the motor was over heating and some body stuck the fan guard on to try and help with that issue.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
They could have although the shroud would be what you would add to help with air flow not the finger guard.
My car was overheating so I pulled the pump to inspect the clearance on the plates and one of them was missing and the other one was pitted and way out of of spec.
I ordered a new stainless set and now it runs @ 185-190 and goes to 210 if I push it hard uphill but drops right back down when I let off.
There was also some pitting in the TC cover that I filled with JB weld and sanded smooth.

Here is a post by Bear explaining the procedure.

"If you're having cooling problems, the FIRST thing to do is to remove your water pump and make sure the plate clearance is correct. To do this, remove the pump, the gasket, and the steel plate from behind the water pump. Lay the plate onto the back of the water pump with NO GASKET - and gently "work" the big hole on the back side of the plate with a hammer such that it barely touches the pump impeller all the way around. When you re-install the plate and pump with a new gasket between them, the clearance will be right where it needs to be. Failing to do this and thus having too much plate clearance is the single biggest cause of most Pontiac overheating problems. It makes a huge difference in how well the pump works and circulates coolant. When I got my 69 together and running, I forgot to do this. Sitting still in the garage at an idle, the temp gauge on my 461 would creep up over 200-210 degrees within a few minutes. I pulled the pump and clearanced the plate, changing nothing else, and now it never gets above 160-170, even when I'm driving it hard --- and I'm in Texas so we understand the problems of running a/c equipped cars in stupid hot climates".

Bear
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:46 PM

a good shroud can make a difference! OE for period correct/concourse, or a good aftermarket for a restomod/g-machine build :-)

Justin Novick
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"
(773) 303-8251 - www.EntropyRad.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:23 PM

Garage
If it helps, my 66 GTO convertible, 4 barrel, 4-speed, non-air, manual steering, has the fan guard (but didn't come with a shroud). I know the guard is original, as my parents bought it new, and I have had it since 1986.

Importsmasher

Scott Baggiore

66 GTO convertible 389/4-speed
74 GTO hatchback 455/4-speed
73 Firebird Formula 400/4-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in